Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pangoro

Is my Bonsai okay?

Pangoro
10 years ago

Hey all!
Just a quick Question over my bonsai, I own a Ficus Tree it seems happy but I'm still a bit concerned (Read; Paranoid) as it's my first tree.

The entire tree is green it's currently growing about 7 new shoots (Probably more), 3 of which are about 15 cm long (Soon to get a trim!) Lots of wonderful healthy green new leaves and the older leaves are all seeming great!

My Concern comes from some of the older leaves turn Yellow/Green and will eventually drop off, I have read that Ficus can be a bit fussy and drop leaves because they 'feel like it' but I'm just concerned. The only sign I have that there might be something wrong is some leaves just drop, on the branches they drop from there is new leaves growing, so is this just the tree keeping a balance of kicking off older leaves for newer growth?

Thanks!

[Edit; The picture makes it look like the sprouting branches have yellow parts on them but it's just the light it was taken in, it was taken at night the sprouts are all green. ]

This post was edited by Pangoro on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 15:46

Comments (3)

• moochinka
    10 years ago

As long as new ones keep growing, as long as it's getting plenty of sun for long hours each day, as long as you're not watering too often, things should be fine. Yellowing tends to be about watering too often, but you'll have to work it out for yourself.

• bonsaifromscratch
    10 years ago

I have a ficus and I keep it from drying. I know that it's a concern that overwatering a bonsai is most likely to kill it rather than underwatering it. Make sure you are watering your ficus appropriately!

• moochinka
    10 years ago

Humidity is so important - especially with certain tropicals, and watering won't address that, but humidity trays (or a lot of daily spraying) will.

Sponsored