Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidfromdetroit

aerial roots

davidfromdetroit
16 years ago

I have a sheflera bonsai that sprouted a number of small aerial roots at the top of the trunk. They sprouted horizontally and were each about 1/2 inch long.

As seen in numerous bonsai books, I directed the two largest into two seperate straws that went down into the soil. The straws are loosely filled with cotton swabs to hold moisture. I watered them daily.

My goal was to encourage and control the growth of the roots toward the soil surface. At first it seemed to work as the roots seemed to grow a little more and one even branched. But now, they appear dark brown and dry (versus suculent and green as before) and are not growing.

What did I do wrong? Are they indeed dead or do roots do this as a part of their growth pattern?

Comments (14)

• bulldogges
    16 years ago

The roots are dead.

The problem was the daily watering. Just like you cant water a bonsai everyday that is kept indoors, you cannot water the roots daily. roots of most trees need to dry between waterings - not long, just a day or two. Otherwise they get rootrot, fungal infections etc.

Including cotton in the straws made compounded hte problem. With one end in the soil, the inside of the straw will remain fairly humid on its own - not to mention that airial roots appearing in the first place means it was humid enough for the roots to grow and extract water from the air.

I would suggest removing hte straws and removing the roots beforethey spread a fungus or mold to the tree.

Next time the airial roots appear, just place straws around them and nothing else - the purpose of the straw is solely to protect the root from damage and to guide it.

If you want to stimulate new airial roots, its actually really easy. First gently scar the trunk forming a ring - this can be done by gently pressing a knife or razor plade point against the bark - exposing the Cambium (green layer directly beneith the bark). Next wrap moist peat moss around the trunk over hte part you scarred. Then wrap that in Cellophane (cling wrap, etc.). This keeps the peatmoss in place and keeps it moist. Wet the moss periodically to ensure it stays moist.

Within 4-6 weeks you should notice roots growing inthe peat moss. Remove the moss and insert straws - so that about 1/2 inch of straw is actually in the soil.

This is how I grew arial roots on my Willow Leaf Ficus bonsai.

good Luck

• paul3636
    16 years ago

bulldogges
    It sounds like you are air layering the plant and when the roots come they are trained as aeriel roots.
    Would you use a rooting hormone to help?
    Paul3636

• bulldogges
    16 years ago

Similar to airlayering, but instead of removing a ring of bark to expose the entire cambium.

When I did it, I just gently pushed a razor blade tip through the bark, making small scratches.

i used rooting horomone, but supposedly, its not necessary - but doesnt hurt, so.....

• davidfromdetroit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Bulldog,

Your advice is appreciated,

David

• davidfromdetroit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A clarifying question. I understand that too much watering killed the roots. But how does that reconcile with water-starting roots?

I have put cuttings of sheflera in vases of water before and left alone, they will sprout and grow extensive roots. Why can they exist totally submerged, but not if watered daily?

David

• bulldogges
    16 years ago

David,

what happened when you tried to transplant those sheflera into soil from the standing water? My guess is they died - if not all of them, then most of them.

I dont understandthe exaxt science behind this (I'm not a Botonist), but apparently, trees are capable of growing two types of roots and they are not interchangable.

When a cutting is placed in water, it will grow roots, but those roots are actually incapable of surviving or extracting water fom soil. rots grown in soil are incapable of surviving in water.

What kills the rots in water is Root Rot or other types of fungus and mold.

What killsthe water roots when placed in soil? I have no idea - but my guess is they die as the tree dies bacuase of lack of water.

The other problem with growing cuttings in water is that you will lose a large percentage of them to rot - just simple rot that results from placing any vegitative matter in water.

When I take cuttings from my Ficus, I place them in regular potting soil and keep it waterloggedfor the first week or two - not runny mud, but very wet (If i tip the pot some, the soil soes not run out. After a few weeks I start to water Like I would a regular plant and after a six months or so I transplant into better soil.

Im sure someone else will say potting soil sucks and shouldnt be used, but itworks for me, so.....

In short, if you leave the sheflere in a vase, it will probalby live a very long time, but you will never be able to transplant it into a pot of soil.

• jmcat
    16 years ago

So what if someone says that? It may not work for others, but if it works for you, then there's no reason to change.
    -Jmcat

• moulman
    16 years ago

bulldogges said -

"When a cutting is placed in water, it will grow roots, but those roots are actually incapable of surviving or extracting water fom soil. rots grown in soil are incapable of surviving in water.
    The other problem with growing cuttings in water is that you will lose a large percentage of them to rot - just simple rot that results from placing any vegitative matter in water. "

This is total bunk! Don't you believe a word of it. But he is right about one thing - he is definately not a botanist!

People have been rooting plants in water for propogation for centuries. And they do very well when placed in soil, thank you.
    Sheesh, the internet is a wonderful thing, no?

• bulldogges
    16 years ago

moulman,

Its funny you say that.

considering almost all sources say to root cuttings in soil, not water.

Considering when you do usually see people discussing rooting in water only, it is about specific types of plants and almost never about trees.

Considering almost everyone who roots in water talks about how the plant is still doing well in WATER several years later.

Considering the VAST majoirty of trees are incapable of growing in water in the wild.

dont believe me if you dont want to, but do an experment - the vast majority of cutting, if not every last one of them, from trees rooted in water will die when translpanted to soil (unless translpanted when only root nodes have emerged.

The roots even look different, have a different outer layer and feel different

• bulldogges
    16 years ago

I've done some research.

Apparently in Woody plants (which includes Trees) there are two types of roots.

1) Woody roots: These form the structure that support the plant - it is also where other roots grow from

2) White roots: These are the roots that actually absorb water.

Woody roots will survive and send out new roots until either the tree dies or until the roots sickens and dies.

White roots survive for only a few weeks at the very most (according to my source, iits only a few days to a week.

A Tree grown in water has no use for and thereforewill not grow Woody roots, they will only grow white roots. As the tree is constantly in water, even as the roots die, the plant can absorb water while it grows new ones.

When planted i the soil with no woody roots to help grow new white roots, and no constant water supply, the will have difficulty absorbing water until it can grow a true root system for soil (usually not fast enough to save the plant).

As I said, they grow different types of roots depending on whether they are in water or soil. While oe type will survive in soil, they dont live long enough to make a difference, and as anyone who has ever overwatered a plant knows - woody roots cannot survive in water.

Below is the source discussing Roots

Here is a link that might be useful: root info

• davidfromdetroit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great stuff Bulldog,

Thanks for the help. I removed the straws and you were right, the roots were definitely dead - even brittle.

My hope is that new ones will sprout that I can train down later (with less watering). I do understand that this can be affected by exposing the cambrium layer and surrounding with a rooting hormone. But given my last attempt with aerial roots I am a little gunshy. Hopefully nature will give me new sprouts to work with.

David

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I'll go out in the backyard & tell that 20' scheffelera it can't be alive because it rooted in water. Then I'll go tell that #$#@ rubber tree that is trying to overtake the world that it is dead too. It was also rooted in water. The key is to just keep them a little wet for a few weeks to months after you put them in dirt. The little white roots will keep them alive in the moist soil until the heavier roots start to sprout.
    Tally HO!

• Michael Heaps
    9 years ago

I root weeping willow, ficus, cotoneaster,junifers, and boxwood in water all the time and I create great bonsai trees with them...

I also use a media blend (lava rock pumice and pine bark) to grow cuttings with, I do use rooting compound by the way, never used soil before but if it works for u why stop.

My ficus is about 25 years old and has 4 very nicely placed areal roots growing just where I want them, I do use the tip of a knife and moss to grow my roots as well and I have never used rooting compound before but I might try it just to see if they grow faster. ...

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus