Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgodman

New ficus benjamina variegata starlight for bonsai need help

rgodman
9 years ago

Hello all,

I am brand new to the group, newish in Bonsai, and never had a ficus before. I picked up this small but healthly Ficus from Hirt's. It is in a small 4" pot, and has 3 main trunks with 2 babies starting. The largest trunk is the one to the left, and actually has an aerial root down it's side (tiny), the best shape/thickness, and a good starting nebari. I was hoping it was 3 plants that I could separate, but I am thinking now it is only 3 trunks from one root ball. I'm attaching pics so you can see and tell me if you think I may be able to split the trunks, I would rather have it be single trunk. If it is one plant, can I split the root ball? If not the trunk I would keep on it would be well off to the side of the roots... leaving a good section off the side, should this be trimmed? I figure I will let it recover from shipment for a few weeks before I attempt this or even wait til spring when it is warm and the plant is outside. If I cut the other trunks I will them root them in other containers. Other question comes to mind is repotting. I am thinking a larger container to grow in for a couple years, would I be ok with planting it in bonsai soil right off for growing, or maybe a mix of potting soil and bonsai? Thanks for any input.

Ray

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor