Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missvix

C Elm in the UK

MissVix
10 years ago

Hello everyone

As a long-time lurker and reader, I'd like to first say thanks to everyone for all your advice I've read, absorbed and used.

Apologies but this got a little long - some background and then my current situation:

Having been given a 'mallsai' Chinese Elm as a gift, I've been launched into the world of bonsai care possibly before I was planning to get started, though I'm doing my best to learn quickly!

Within weeks, it was clear that the tree had some problems - the soil was very very poor and watering even by soaking wasn't doing much good. Additionally, the whole thing rocked very majorly as it was not fixed into the pot. Despite my best efforts, it lost all its leaves and I feared the worst.

Although not the best time of year to do so (September), I had nothing left to lose and after two weeks with no leaves and no buds appearing I took the plunge and repotted with new bonsai-specific media. I fixed the plant firmly in place, patted the soil in place gently and hoped for the best. After just two days, buds appeared and soon the tree was covered in vibrant green leaves. HURRAH!

So far so good, eh?

Unfortunately, four months later and the poor thing is losing its leaves again.

I have no outdoor space to it's living in a cool room very near a window and not near a heat source. Temperatures are a steady 16-17C and the window is south-facing. There's not much light at the moment so I'm wondering if this is the biggest factor.

I water only when needed, checking the soil with finger as well as toothpick-test. If anything it might be under-watered. I use a humidity gauge in the room and it's usually around 65%. The pot has a tray although I don't mist.

I don't know if it's losing leaves because it's winter, it's cool and the light is low (assuming it's been used to livnig outside all year round at its previous home), or whether there's something wrong.

I've resisted the urge to 'OMG do something' and would welcome any advice anyone can give.

Thanks in advance and apologies for waffling on!

V

Comments (2)