Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadeysan

White fluffy bits on a Pinus thunbergii, Japanese Black Pine

Jadeysan
9 years ago

I'm new to the Forum and new to bonsai so please bear with me and my lack of experience.

I've been lucky to have received a gift of a Pinus thunbergii, Japanese Black Pine which I guess to be about 2 - 3 years old (???) and has been trained although I took the wires off as it was scarring the trunk.

Problem 1: I've only had it a few months but recently I notice that some white fluff appearing in the centre of the needle clusters. It's not on the tree branches. I've tried to look up on the internet to no avail so thought I'd post an image to see what the experts can advice. I know this tree needs full sun but it's been quite dull over the recent winter months and I have been careful not to over water as it's been damp and quite rainy. I don't believe the tree has been waterlogged, I've been checking regularly. It's outdoors and over the coldest weeks (-1�C) I have wrapped just its pot with fleece to protect but not the plant itself.

Problem 2: I have also noticed that the greeness of the needles starting to fade together with the development of some needles turning a complete light brown as well as just the tips of others going brown. As i can only upload 1 image this shows just the tips going brown and not the other needles. I hope it's not Needle Cast but....so...can anyone let me know what both the problems might be please and how to remedy? I hope to save the tree obviously.

Much appreciation and thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• Jadeysan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Moonchinka

I could only post 1 picture so it was the one with the white fluff I opted for. I don't think it's mealy bug because the appearance and distribution of the white fluff is very regular in shape and place. I've come across them on other things before. I was wondering about a fungus infection?

Here's another image that should show the browning of the needles. I have been concerned that the whole tree looks less green than before. As I said, I haven't actively been watering the tree since it's been a wet winter. I've even tilted the tree's bowl to help with drainage. I don't have a green house to over-winter and I don't believe stagnant indoors air circulation is good for the plant. So what else might I be able to do please if water is the problem?

Thanks for your opinion.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

For one thing, fill the tray with large pebbles to keep the pot from wicking waste water and killing the roots. Wish I could see the pot size relative to the tree, btw. Evergreens routinely do have some of their old needles brown and drop every year, but they're generally close to the trunk in bunches, not isolated odd ones. Are you not fertilizing with something appropriate (tho' not in winter) as lack of nitrogen will cause fading as well.

• Jadeysan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of the tree relative to the pot size. Shot indoors with flash so it's looking rather warm! Just about able to see the brown needles? Does it help with diagnosis?

When I was given the tree 3 months ago I repotted it with a mix of 3 parts shohin grade akadema, 1 part keto, and part med grain crushed lava. I mixed into it about 8 nuggets of Biogold fertiliser, the well known slow release bonsai fertiliser. There is a small clump of moss sitting on top of the soil as well.

Thanks for your comments.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Hi - I'd remove the moss first, it has to be holding too much water there.

• Johnnyboy7
    9 years ago

Hi

I got the white fluffy things on one of my pines, I found that if I pulled my fingers along the needles to pull the fluff off, it went a sticky dark colour!

They were Wooly aphids or Adelgids, I just went through all the affected needles pulling them off and squishing them between my thumb and finger :)

• vancewood
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Where have you been keeping this tree? Pines and Junipers are temperate plants and will not survive for long indoors. If you have this guy indoors that is where your problem started.

The needles are starting to shrivel and fold in on themselves, this is not a good sign. Usually when a pine looks like this it is dying. It is always a watering problem, too much and the roots rot and the tree dies because it can't get water. To little water the tree dies because it can't get enough water. The end result is always damage to the roots.

• KHSimages dotcom
    2 years ago

Have you looked into something called pine needle scale?

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner