Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petey_weet

Cedar Elm, dry, pale leaves...is it dead?

petey_weet
14 years ago

I just bought a Cedar Elm from a reputable Bonsai dealer, and it looked great, nice and healthy when I bought it. They kept it in a temperature-regulated greenhouse. I had it for about a week, and since the night time temps here have been in the 20's to 40's, it's been inside the house. The leaves have all turned very pale green and are very dry and dead. However, they didn't turn brown or anything, only from the drying. I watered every other day, and I though I was keeping the soil moist enough. Does it sound like this plant is dead, or is this something normal for this tree when it changes climates, or in the winter maybe? I really hope I didn't lose this tree.

Comments (15)

• petey_weet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some pics...

This is how it looked when I got it...
    {{gwi:3517}}

Here is how it looks now...
    {{gwi:3518}}

{{gwi:3519}}

• larke
    14 years ago

Stop watering so often - you're drowning the poor thing! Here's everything you need for now... http://bonsaisite.com/cedarelm.html.

• petey_weet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Larke, I have read that page, I"ve read everything I can find on the species. The thing that worries me, is that every experience I've had with over watering caused the leaves to wilt and brown, not dry up and turn...

Which leads me to another question...if you enlarge the pics of the leaves, do you think it could be powdery mildew?

• larke
    14 years ago

It may be that it's gone dormant, not something you'd see it do if it had stayed in Texas, but why shouldn't it after all? I assume you've checked for spider mites? I don't think it''s mildew - those stains look more like just hard water marks. Have you scratched the trunk to see if it's green underneath or not?
    Other than that all I can think it that it's in crummy, peaty potting soil that keeps roots too wet deep down and should be in a gritty bonsai mix. I have to go now, but write tomorrow and we can talk about it.

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Excuse me guys...either someone posted the wrong pictures...or...someone switched a tree tag???

Or I've had one too many beers...dunno

Elms have narrow toothy margins and are eliptical in shape.
    Those pictures look an awfully lot like fukien tea...huh??
    The leves, the bark, the trunk, look at an enlarged pic of the leaves. Most will handle about 45 to 50 degrees F but not right out of a greenhouse environment into your 'temperature controlled' greenhouse (which was what temp?)
    Watering it with the foliage being dead is like beating a dead baby, keep it in the house and let it dry out.

If the tag says Cedar Elm I'd take it back to that 'reputable Bonsai dealer' and have him or her shove it where the sun don't shine...hard.

Bob

• moyogijohn
    14 years ago

That is not a elm tree... i am with bob looks like fukien tea.their leaves will turn if you breath on them too hard.cut way back on water and take it back to the nursery.. let us know what happens... john

• moyogijohn
    14 years ago

One more question,,have you misted the leaves??thatlooks like salt dep. on the leaves..john

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Actually the tree probably isn't a gonner, just looks that way. I would still take it back to the 'reputible' dealer and demand a refund. If you can't it may still survive.

Get all of the leaves off and clean the litter out of the pot. Begin at the top and scrape a little of the bark on branches working your way down until you see some green. If you see green under the bark it's still alive.
    It's been through a shock and will probably recover in time.

If you can, place it near a south facing window so it gets a few hours of indirect sun a day and let the soil dry out pretty well. Not bone dry, just a little moist. In a few weeks you should see buds then leaves begin to appear, give some weak low nitrogen food and water it up.

bonsai4me.com has pretty good care information on FT

Bob

• jasoncoco
    14 years ago

I too agree. Definitely not an elm at all.

• larke
    14 years ago

Sorry for not picking up on that, but not being familiar with Cedar elm and the leaves not necessarily being as 'toothy' as some Fukiens, I didn't look it up. Hope things go well.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Good catch, Bob! ;)

Josh

• petey_weet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MANNNNNSo, I had been working on my Cedar Elm for an hour or so before I posted this, so I messed up...

It's the Bahama Black Olive. The Cedar Elm is doing fine, it's outside, and it's already shed its' leaves for the winter. I'll get some pics up, cause I"m at a point with that one where I could use some advice. But that's another thread.

As for this pic, my fault... it's a Bahama Black Olive, and yes, I had misted the leaves, and I do have pretty hard water from the tap. I thought it was hard water deposits, before the leaves got all dry, but then when they dried. out, I just assumed it might be a bigger problem. Thanks for all yalls help, any more advice would be gladly accepted. Piet

• moyogijohn
    14 years ago

Follow Bobs advice and see if your tree will pop new buds..good luck john

• larke
    14 years ago

Oh I'm glad it's an olive... because it didn't look like a Fukien to me but everyone else was so sure that I didn't dare say so :-)!

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

The leaves are somewhat similar but not as 'fleshy' as the FT. I didn't see any spines in the photo but did notice the white spotted trunk. Growth habit is about similar as well.

Bob

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA