Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
man_go_bananas

Fruit tree Bonsais

Man-Go-Bananas
13 years ago

I am just wondering if these fruits can be made into bonsais.

I don't want to take up all the space in my backyard, so it would be great if they could.

-Blueberry

-Raspberry

-Guava

-Mango

-Kiwi

Thanks, Man-Go

Comments (12)

• simsedward
    13 years ago

My friend has a smal blueberry bush that I think would work. I would say no on the raspberry. No clue on the others. Try a chinese sweet plum or kumquat.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I thought I'd heard of blueberry bonsais.

• mike423
    13 years ago

I've heard of successful Mango and Guava Bonsai's, (I'm sure some images will come up if you make a search on Google) and I think I remember hearing someone saying something about a certain strain of blueberry being Bonsai capable. As far as the Kiwi I'm pretty sure it cant be done. I myself had looked into Raspberry and strawberry as candidates for bonsai a while back, but both are not doable. They may sustain growth on a limb for a year or two but always get random die back, which is why the bushes grown always seem tangled and wild (impossible to train). Grape is a good choice though if you are looking for something similar, I've even heard of some specimens being 150+ years old. Hope this helps.

-Mike

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike- That's very helpful advice. I looked on Google and found pictures for both, but only a few. This makes me think that it's not always successful- any feedback?

P.S. Does anybody know if a loquat (Japanese Plum) can be a bonsai?

• simsedward
    13 years ago

Here are some pics of my Chinese Sweet Plum tree
    {{gwi:3568}}
    {{gwi:3569}}

• mike423
    13 years ago

Sure Japanese plum can be done, in fact they are one of the main staples of famous flowering bonsai subjects in Japan, again look on Google and see what comes up. I also believe that lack of pictures of some types of Bonsai is mainly due to the fact of them being more uncommon and less 'documented' online, which can but doesn't necessarily mean they don't have great Bonsai potential.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike!

• jimshy
    13 years ago

I've seen guava bonsai done very successfully in the U.S. Virgin Islands, so long as you can keep it moist in Texas summers!

Mango, I think, would never reduce leaf size and growth habit to be worthwhile.

Japanese plum (prunus mume) is spectacular, but totally different from loquat (eribotrya japonica). Loquat would, like mango, be hard to reduce to bonsai proportions, but makes a nice tub plant.

Has anyone tried jujube (zizyphus jujube) or persimmon?

Jim

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the clarification jimshy, all the information is very helpful.

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

Has anyone tried date palms? In my climate, zone 6, I might be hard pressed to grow a full sized plant.
    Dan

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

I would say no to the palm. They just don't grow branches really and wouldn't look quite right.

• mike423
    13 years ago

jimshy, Persimmon is very doable in fact I remember reading a great article on them in a Bonsai Today Magazine issue. Had a picture of a striking one dormant and leafless on the cover as well, cant remember the issue number though.

P.S. sorry for the reply months after you asked.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH