Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Procumbens Nana Newbie: too cold for outdoors?

Posted by Jahlers ND (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 19:58

I just bought a bonsai, my first, at Home Depot for $10. Its a Procumbens nana Juniper, and I trimmed it up nice and cute when I first got it. (It was overgrown and bushy looking.) Anyway, it says its a zone 4 to 9 tree, and I'm in zone 3b/4a. I don't think I'm going to be able to put it outside though. Its been kept indoors the whole time at the store, and now its in the teens below zero pretty much everyday, if not colder. (Tomorrow is -27 for the low and -7 for the high.) Since it has not been allowed to acclimate to the weather, what can I do to make it go dormant? Even our unheated garage is way too cold for this plant right now. I have one cold drafty window in a cold room, in full sun for about 4 hours a day. I kept a thermometer near the window and it was about 52-55 most of the day. Is this cold enough for dormancy? How cold is zone 9 in the winter? I should have asked these questions first, but for $10, the worst I can have is a ten dollar stick I guess.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Procumbens Nana Newbie: too cold for outdoors?

Just keep it in a cool (not cold) place for this season and when you put it outside in the late spring, leave it there for good, with protection though next winter as you are in a very cold place.

o
RE: Procumbens Nana Newbie: too cold for outdoors?

If your a zone 3b/4a...I imagine that means at times it can be colder. That said...I would winterize in an unheated out building. Tossing snow into the pot occasionally. Or...if no snow,periodically water. Mine is weathering in an out building...and I am a zone 5. Because I was unsure if it had ever been exposed to our cold temps...

I hope your tree doesn't have glued pebbles...if so you need to remove them...mine won't be shaped for three-four years...allowing it to grow out so there is more to work with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here