Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hesperie

First-time bonsai owner--help!

hesperie
13 years ago

I recently bought a one-year-old juniper bonsai. I've wanted one for a while, but didn't go out intending to buy one right then and there, so I wasn't exactly armed with knowledge.

One month into owning it, and I still feel like I know nothing. I'm actually afraid to touch it beyond watering it because I'm getting so much conflicting information. I'm not sure when or how to prune it, when to start getting plant food, when to re-pot it and what soil to use...it seems like every site I go to is telling me the opposite of what the last one did. So far it seems to be doing alright--it's even getting new growth, so I must not be killing it yet--but I really need to know what my next move should be.

So if anyone could point me in the direction of a reputable "Bonsai for Dummies" site or book, or even just has a little bit of advice, I'd really appreciate the help. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:3989}}

Comments (6)

• larke
    13 years ago

Hi - before anything else, please lift off that fake moss and throw it away. Good. It was doing nothing good for your tree at all and possibly doing some bad. Where do you live (approximately) in the world? If you get right back with that information, plus where (in/out, what kind of light) the tree is, then it'll be much easier to help. Allow most of the soil to dry in between waterings, not just the top layer.

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

There isn't a 'Bonsai for Dummies' website yet but should be. You are active on the web, you found this forum...but...somehow couldn't find any information on a juniper. Or at least anything you could understand.

What you will find here is; stick a chopstick in the soil to find out how wet it is...but for god's sake don't stick your finger in and maybe get it dirty. Take off the glued on stones and repot it right away!! Into what?
    With what?
    And ,of course, the very learned person who will give you reams and reams of information which you will have to have a dictionary handy to understand a small percentage of...a botanical dictionary.

Good luck!

Bob

• larke
    13 years ago

I absolutely cannot remember ever reading a more nasty, cynical, useless note in my life. I thought you left the forum... is this your version of Goodbye?

• simsedward
    13 years ago

Wow, Bob needs a nap LOL.

• hesperie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

larke: I live in SE Pennsylvania. The plant is currently on a windowsill (I live in an apartment), but I'm hoping once May rolls around I'll be able to keep it outside.

And the moss is gone. (That's exactly what I was talking about; I got at least three different answers as to whether or not it should stay when I was researching on my own.) Thank you. :)

Bob: Wow. Um...how am I even supposed to respond to this. Could it be that, perhaps, simply Googling turned up amateur sites I didn't know if I could trust, and academic searches turned up information too advanced for me to understand? I never claimed to be a botanist. I can admit when I know too little, and ask for help--which is why I came here in the first place, only to be mocked by a miserable human being who gets his jollies teasing a stranger over nothing. Wonderful.

• larke
    13 years ago

Yes, it will need to be out - for life. As you can't just put it outside straight into the cold now and it's too late anyhow to begin dormancy, plus I imagine it's probably in potting soil vs grit, you're going to have to be very careful about watering, i.e. let most of the soil dry between waterings, which should be good ones when you do them, and keep it away from heat sources, but in as much light as possible. It is very standard information, but sometimes that's what's necessary. See how things go and come back with any questions. You will need to repot it into fast draining grit, but not now, later in spring would be the time.

Sponsored