Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jelandusn

Another Bonsai repotting question...

jelandusn
16 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some help. I bought a Japanese maple bonsai about 3 months ago. It was already dormant when I got it so I put it out on the patio, (yes it's going to be inside). I know that's not so good but we live in the city and have no yard. The patio is not heated and gets tons of morning sun. Because of the sun, it warms up pretty fast. Anyway, it started growing it's leaves about a week ago and is pretty full of leaves right now. It even has cool flowers! Never knew maples had flowers... The problem is, I think it is badly in need of repotting. I don't want it to get any bigger, so I think that would involve trimming the roots. When I first got it, it had moss all over the pot. I couldn't see the dirt or roots at all. This made it impossible to water it because the water would just run down the moss and over the edge. So, I took most of the moss up only to find that the roots were exposed and over the top of the pot. So, I still have the same problem with the water running off the edge just not as bad. My question is, how do I repot it!!!? I tried to take it out of the pot but it won't budge at all. I'm guessing there are wires. There's no way I can dig to the wires because there's no dirt!! Just roots. So what now? Break the pot? And once I get it out of the pot. Do I have to move it to a bigger size? I'm thinking that since there's just so many roots and no dirt, it might be too root bound to just trim the roots. If I could, I would just take it to a bonsai store and have them do it for me, but I'm here in Korea and haven't had much luck finding a store like that. I got the tree while on vacation and I don't think I can convince my husband to drive 10 hours to get the tree repotted. He likes the plant but not that much...

Comments (3)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Hi. First of all, are you sure it's a 'maple' (Acer), and not a similar house plant also called 'maple' but that really isn't one (actually an Abutilon) and does get flowers? If the flowers on yours are very tiny, it could be a 'real' one and not the other, but in any case, a real one WILL NOT survive indoors whether or not you want it to. It needs many things nature gives it that you cannot duplicate inside, so you have to decide how you're going to proceed - ignore nature and have a temporary 'house plant', accept nature and give it a proper outside home, or give it to someone else who will do so. As far as repotting goes, until you've learned how to prune roots, etc., why not just get a larger pot (similar shape) and just lift your tree out of its present pot in one piece (doesn't sound like you'll have much trouble), put it straight into the new one, and add new (gritty, fast draining) soil all the way around. Then find a local bonsai club, or read up on root pruning and all the other things you need to know about taking care of bonsai (try www.bonsai4me.com) and when you feel confident, and it's the right time of year (all-important), go ahead and do the job properly. If you turn the pot over, you'll either see wires or you won't - if there are some, use wire clippers to cut them, if not, then it's not a problem - but you might have to break the pot to get the tree out - it's obviously very rootbound. I can't believe there aren't many knowledgable people in Korea who couldn't help you even long distance, with bonsai. But come back here if you run into trouble and we'll try to help.

• jelandusn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your response. There was some good info in it. I'll look for the wires on the bottom because it won't move at all when I try to pull it out. When I repot it, will I have to use wires? Also, don't worry about it dying. I am keeping it on the unheated patio. I didn't describe it before, so maybe I will a little. It has floor to ceiling windows on two of its bigger four sides. If I wanted to, I could open the huge window/door and have one side completely open to the outside. It's a little cold right now so I just leave it about a quarter of the way open. Although it's not actually outside, I feel this is pretty close. That's how it was able to stay dormant for so long. The only difference is that it's a few degrees warmer and there are no bugs. I don't think it will die and I don't think I need to give it away. If I could put it outside, I would. This is just temporary until we move. I'm also pretty sure it's a maple. The flowers were tiny and pretty much blended in with the leaves. I'm sure there are bonsai clubs here in Korea but I don't really speak Korean very well. Although I've searched a lot hoping for english speaking clubs, I haven't been successful. I'm learning Korean now so in a couple of years maybe I can join one! ;)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Hi, wish I had a patio like that - sounds perfect! The reason I suggested you look for local help is that if something is so rootbound it's stuck in the pot (presuming there are no wires), then even if you get rid of the pot, it's hard to explain about how to deal with what's left (the rootball - which will be like an inflexible rock). Unfortunately, even for someone experienced, sometimes all you can do is treat it more like a house plant at that point, putting it into a larger pot, stuffing new soil around it (for it's own sake, not 'bonsai's') and just concentrating on shaping the above ground tree, forgetting altogether trying to get it into a smaller, or bonsai pot.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler