Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy123

Rooting Juniperus virginiana cuttings?

treeguy123
15 years ago

I feel like some on here might know how to root Juniperus virginiana because they could make a good bonsai.

I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar" (Juniperus virginiana) cuttings from an very amazing and special weeping mutation specimen I found in the wild. The tree is about 60 to 100 years old I would estimate, and is about 30 feet tall and 15 to 20 feet wide. It has weeping branch strands 3 feet long that sway in the wind. It looks like it has lost 1/4 of it's side from a ice storm maybe in the past, and I feel like it might be at moderate risk of future strong storms so that's why I want to definitely propagate it now.

The only thing I have ever rooted in the past is Cottonwoods and willows, both very easy to root in early spring from cuttings because they have natural rooting hormone inside of their own branches, love water so the cuttings grow good in slow draining wet potting soil, and being bottle misted heavy every day.

So I need help in all the specifics of rooting Juniperus virginiana, ie. like when to get the cuttings, what to use and buy (like best rooting hormone), and how to prepare and plant the cuttings and caring for them etc. etc.

I want this to work, any help of how to root them would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm