Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peanut01_gw

Bonsai Pics(lots)

peanut01
13 years ago

I have a budding interest in the art of Bonsai. In the back country I found this cool Bonsai business. Nobody was in so I just kind of wandered around and took some pics and wished. They may operate by appointment only. Most trees were priced from $80 - $250 which seemed like great prices to me(I don't really know but I guess that is perspective).

I posted these pics to share. I take pride in knowing that all my country neighbors are not "hillbilly's". Just kidding.

I was hoping someone could id this first tree in particular. That is the specimen that I will go back to purchase.

{{gwi:4290}}

{{gwi:4291}}

{{gwi:4292}}

{{gwi:4293}}

{{gwi:4294}}

{{gwi:4295}}

{{gwi:4296}}

{{gwi:4297}}

{{gwi:4298}}

{{gwi:4299}}

{{gwi:4300}}

{{gwi:4301}}

{{gwi:4302}}

{{gwi:4303}}

{{gwi:4304}}

Does anyone know what the rocks mean with the leather band around them? They were located all through the site.

I hope all who viewed enjoyed. TIA for the id of the first pic. I cannot wait to get a guided tour of the greenhouses.

-David

Comments (12)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Ficus microcarpa.

Al

• peanut01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much for the identification. Is there a way to tell the age of this tree? Rough estimate???

-David

PS - Great potting mix recommendations ;-)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

It's hard to guess at how old the plant is unless you know where it spent most of its life. If it's been grown where year round conditions are great, it can grow more than 10X faster than it would, say .... here in MI. Because of all the aerial roots, I'd think the tree was grown under good conditions, so I'd guess it to be 15-20 years old.

PS - the age of small imported bonsai you see for sale is usually greatly exaggerated.

Al

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

Hi David,

I too live in Virginia. Where, if I may ask, is this nursery located? Thanks!

• larke
    13 years ago

Hi, very interesting collection, to say the least. I would absolutely not give out the location, however, as there are many people around who would not be as ethical as yourself in 'just' wandering in and out without helping themselves to such trees and peddling them on the black market (there are big international ones). Plus it's not even ethical to have taken the pix without consent and then posted them without saying who they belong to, but never mind that. I do suggest that if you want to get into bonsai you do a lot of reading first because you don't start out with large, expensive specimens that took years to develop, but can be killed off in days or weeks by people with no experience. An awful lot goes into bonsai that wouldn't be appreciated by newbies, and you wouldn't grow them like house plants or garden trees. Find a local club to visit and get a better idea of what it's all about, start reading all you can, but don't go spending even on cheap little trees yet until you know what to do with which ones when (during the year) from the minute you get them home.

• simsedward
    13 years ago

Beautiful collection of trees. I love the maple in the shallow pot.

• grarlyt
    13 years ago

That was a very serious and impressive bonsai collection you wandered into.
    For 80.00 -250.00 I'd be purchasing the entire collection!! Most of the trees in the pics would have much higher values.

• grarlyt
    13 years ago

oh and
    "Does anyone know what the rocks mean with the leather band around them? They were located all through the site."

Couldn't 100% say as it is not clear in the pics but I'd assume they are weights to shape/pull the branches downward. Typical bonsai style to add age to a tree, not necessarily a typical way to do it however.

As mentioned earlier you'll need some knowledge before getting into bonsai... but that place with the tress should be able to help you. They know what they are doing! Become their friend!

• peanut01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments all. This Bonsai collection is very impressive to say the least. And these pics maybe document about a tenth of the trees at this site. They also had some great rough rock sculptures. They also sell the bamboo fencing that is in the background of some of the photos.

I kinda felt bad posting the photos on the site due to the fact that the plants are not mine... But I wanted to share. Sorry if this is viewed as a breach in ethics.

Searching Bonsai VA through google will bring this nursery up in the list. Give them a call and I am sure you will have to leave a message on an answering machine like I do.

If these are good prices maybe I should approach the owners as a reseller. J/K

Anyone know what plant is in Picture 6 as well as Picture 12. These are very appealling to me. Which would be the easiest of the 3(pic1,pic6,pic12) to care for?

-David

• peanut01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I drove by this nursery yesterday. They have some amazing cherry tree bonsai which are currently in bloom. If anyone in VA wants to contact the nursery I can get you in touch.

-David

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

I would love to. I'm in Northern VA, though. Where is it?

• peanut01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ruther Glen, VA - They are only open for public visits Saturday, 10a-5p. I will be talking with them about expanding their business to the web this weekend. They are very old school and are missing the majority of their possible customers by not having a web presence. Just because Bonsai is an ancient art doesn't mean it needs to be marketed with ancient techniques. What I thought was Cherry yesterday is actually Plum. Still beautiful though. Email me if you would like.

-David

Sponsored