Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowman0206

can someone tell me what kind of Bonsai this is?

snowman0206
18 years ago

Hi all I just bought this bonsai tree and was just wondering what kind it is cause the person at the nursery had no clue. And also some care for the little guy.

Thanks

Snowman

P.s. not sure how to post pics

Comments (13)

• lucy
    18 years ago

Well then how can we tell you what tree it is - you haven't described it either!

• rjj1
    18 years ago

I personally think it's a very bad idea to buy "ANYTHING" from someone that doesnt know what they are selling :-).

randy

• bonsaibean
    18 years ago

I'm not surprised that poor Mr Snowman hasn't replied further on this. Nearly every time I come to this site (which isn't as often as it used to be) I find myself amazed at just how nasty Lucy comes off in many posts. I'm assuming this isn't intentional, but but it is pretty consistent.

There is a difference between constructive criticism and abuse, and I feel that there are times that line has been crossed here, and we don't want to turn off any new budding bonsai artists if we can avoid it.
    Craig

• lucy
    18 years ago

BB - I wasn't nasty, just truthful! He wanted some ID, but gave no clue as to what he wanted I.D.'d. What should I have said? PS I have zero affiliation with the website!

• bonsaibean
    18 years ago

Lucy,

I think it's pretty easy to see that there could have been nicer ways to say what you said, even though it was basically factual. This was like the 3rd thread in a row that I had read with replies from you that seemed to carry a tone that to me sounded somewhere between condescending and snobby. Examples here:
    "Not in Indiana! They're tropicals, and you get WINTER. Come on!"
    "plus if you only meant 'summertime' you should have said so."
    These might also have been true, but they just don't sound nice.
    By the way, I never had any assumptions that you were connected in any way with this site.
    There is already a certain element out there that assume that bonsai artists are snobs, and I sure don't want to feed that misconception here.
    I certainly don't want to cause any ill will, just sharing feelings that I'd been building for some time in recent visits, and hoping that perhaps it would have a constructive outcome for us all.
    Nuff Said!
    Craig

• lucy
    18 years ago

BB - You're right about the Indiana one - I was aware of it myself afterward, but I couldn't believe he was serious... and this wasn't the first time I read posts from him, just the first (in a long time, possibly) on this forum - he's not a complete newbie. And you have to admit (don't you :-) that some people just make you want to scream. I don't know why I'm hanging around here anyhow, because so many regulars left and went onto forums not messed up by new owners, and on some of those sites I'd be considered extra nice, if you see some of the rudeness that goes on. Oh well.

• andromonoecious
    18 years ago

I agree with Bonsaibean in that a modicum of kindness should prevail in forum responses, especially when dealing with what is an apparent novice. It is incumbent that the cognoscente encourage those with less experience rather than to appear impatient and critical.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Snowman - If you're still hanging around:

If you can't post a pic, can you e-mail one to me? or can you give a little better description - here or in an e-mail?

Al

• oppalm
    18 years ago

sounds like someone should spend spome time in a happy place tending her bonsai.

• nepheron
    17 years ago

children, children, be nice to each other!

NO BITING PLEASE

• waldoc4
    13 years ago

Hello all, i would also like to know what kind of bonsai tree have, the posted link is my tree, thanks in advance

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:4393}}

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Fukien Tea, former binomial Carmona microphylla, currently Ehretia microphylla and/or Ehretia buxifolia.

Al

• simsedward
    13 years ago

Waldoc4-
    I would recommend that you get your Fukien Tea out of that potting soil and into some bonsai soil stat. You want something that is fast draining that won't leave the roots to stay wet and cause root rot. Not sure if you have a good bonsai shop near your home. I live near a great shop that sells a really nice soil mix very cheap, so I don't have a good soil available online that I can recommend. Sorry about that.
    Looks like you have a nice tree to start with, Fukiens are one of my favorite bonsai but they do require a little extra attention and they can be finicky at times.
    Here is a pretty good info link on that tree.
    http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carmona.html

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County