Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hooks_gw

A lighter discussion

hooks
16 years ago

This site is a great place to share knowledge and help fellow bonsai enthusiasts, yet it is rare that i see any discussion of anything other than care. I would love to hear about everyone's favorite type of tree. Maybe even see some pictures. My favoite is my bougainvillea I like that purple bracts that bloom with the flowers. Below is a picture and as i said i hope that everyone will post their own favorite along with pictures.

{{gwi:4408}}

Comments (9)

• nigel_sa
    16 years ago

My favourite type of tree is the erythrina lysistemon. My favourite tree however is a an acer beuergeranium that i've had for 6 years now. I also fancy mundulea sericea, if you like the purple on the bougi, you'll love the mundu. There is a special place in my heart for diospyros sp., as well as for taxodium. Ulmus sp., as well as zelkova feature quite highly as well. No pics right now, but I do mean to post some soon...

• lucy
    16 years ago

Does your Erythrina cry like mine? Never heard of Mundu over here - got any pix (whenever)? Taxos are great!

• nigel_sa
    16 years ago

Not too sure exactly what you mean by "cry". Don't think mine do anything unusual... Got e. lysistemon, e. crista galli, as well as e. humeana.

• lucy
    16 years ago

They look like they're dripping water (just a few drops on leaves at any one time) a lot of the time, though if yours are growing outdoors all year, in the sun, it might not be obvious. Their nickname is Cry Baby.

• nigel_sa
    16 years ago

I must say that i've never seen anything of the sort! An of the lysistemon variety I have many. I grew 100 for my sister's wedding, which never happened, so now I have excessive amounts! They do stay outdoors in the sun , but I monitor all my trees VERY closely. In addition, the only "common" name I'm familiar with is Coral tree.... I'll take another look though, I'd be interested to see this phenomenon...

• nigel_sa
    16 years ago

I noticed, yesterday evening, some shiny "spots" if you will on the topside of the leaves... Perhaps this is the phenom you are referring to? Never actually seen a drop of liquid though... Thanks for enlightening me :)

• puglvr1
    16 years ago

I am very new to bonsai, but these are three of my plants that I have. I haven't had them very long.

Hooks, I love your bougainvillea. Hope mine will look like that when it gets older.

{{gwi:4409}}

{{gwi:4410}}

• lucy
    16 years ago

Pug... are the pebbles on the soil glued down, or loose? If they're glued down, you must pry them up and peel them off to allow the soil to breathe, to allow you to judge if it's wet or dry, to discourage bugs from living under there and to display the nebari (roots at the soil line) properly.

• puglvr1
    16 years ago

Thanks Lucy, that's one of the first thing I learned (probably) from you or someone as knowlegeable as you on this forum. No, the gravel is completely loose, I repotted it as soon as I got the plant in a very fast draining soil.I've had these plants for almost a year now. The ficus when I purchased it had "glued on" rocks and that was the first thing I did, remove it and changed the soil and put it in a bonsai pot, then added the gravel. The B.villea I planted myself, was a small offshoot from my plant I had in the ground. Appreciate it...

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations