Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chopping a Japanese Maple

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 12:37

Saw a nice Japanese maple the other day while shopping that I thought I could give a try at making a bonsai out of. Thought it could help to get some outside opinions on my planned chop though.

photo IMG_2455_zps90ff51d1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chopping a Japanese Maple

Japanese maples are a popular tree because of it graceful growing habit. It’s no wonder why so many people are drawn to them. They are a hardy dwarf tree which has been used in many landscapes due to their beautiful color and texture. They stun the viewer with a wide array of leaf colors and shapes, not to mention colorful wood of the trunk and branches. Their ability to adapt to small containers make them a wonderful choice for bonsai.

Maples can be grown in any of the bonsai styles, but one of the best reasons for using Japanese maples in bonsai is their aggressive growth habit. Maples are nearly indestructible as long as you provide them with basic care.

o

Well thats good to hear, as my chop was fairly brutal.

photo 5A14E74B-61CA-4BC3-8757-E5F1A0D0B25B-3268-000004DDD0FDAD3B_zps17dc927a.jpg

I intend to shape the trunk a bit more to clean off those rough cuts once it starts leafing back out some. I don't particularly feel like putting all the effort into making it nice and smooth until I know its going to live.

I did save all of the interesting chunks I cut off though, prepped them, put them in rooting medium, maybe I'll get a few extras (maybe not, we'll see).

o

Notice if you get new growth at the chopped limb elbow. I read that some trees react nicely by leaving a little stub of the chopped limb. I don't know if that is the case with Japanese maples.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 18:14

I'm late to the party,but the lowest branch in the first picture - the one with the diagonal slash through it, would have been my new leader. Given what you're left with now, it would have been useful to have left all the low branches on to help thicken the lower trunk and help with taper.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here