Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guava62_gw

Desperate Neophyte

guava62
17 years ago

Hello to all:

I live in Nova Scotia Canada BRRRRR !!

I am new to this forum and to the world of Bonsai.

My Mom gave me a Ficus microcarpa from a local grocery store yesterday and I am not sure what to do to make him a happy little guy.

I am dismayed to report that he is in a plastic 8" round pot and covered with glued down pebbles. I am really alarmed as he is probably not very happy in his present state. I currently have him in a west facing window and I have a mister for him.

I am wondering:

1. Do I remove the pebbles and get some apprpriate soil to re pot him in the same container or is this just the wrong time of year to do this? I have no idea how moist or dyr his soil is at present

2.Should i get out and track down some food with the appropriate PNK #s at this time or again bad timing.

I guess I would love a bit of hand holding to know where to start ....he looks spindly with one long leader(trim or not?) and his leaves are longer then they should be I would think. Not much light in the grocery I have to guess.

Some of his leaves are yellowed and some have tears in them( I know a real disaster! )One end bit of branch got half snapped off in the car drive home and Mom tried to tape it together with plant tape.

Am I hopeless here?

I ordered Bonsai Survival Guide by Colin Lewis and we have no Bonsai clubs/organizations in our province.

I appreciate and value any help you could impart. I would love to read more and book suggestions are welcome. I will invest the time for this dear little guy.

Thanks, Aileen

Comments (3)

Sponsored