Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Cryptomeria re-potting (pics)

Howdy!

I recently re-potted my Cryptomeria japonica 'tansu' and took a few pics of the process...that way, if it dies, I'll have something to remember it by... ;)

See the original Thread for two year's worth of pics, linked above and below. Now, my main order of business was breaking up the matted roots near the basal flare. I "brushed" the roots out, trimmed them, hosed the root-ball, trimmed, brushed, hosed, trimmed, et cetera, until I had reduced the root-mass sufficiently. Each pass seemed to reveal more roots....

The fresh potting medium is Pine/Fir Bark primarily, with Pumice and a small fraction of sharp Quartz gravel. I added Osmocote fertilizer to the mix, as well.

Wow, that's some roots! Re-potted in summer, so about half a year's growth...!

{{gwi:4523}}

{{gwi:4524}}

{{gwi:4525}}

{{gwi:4526}}

{{gwi:4527}}

{{gwi:4528}}

{{gwi:4529}}

{{gwi:4530}}

{{gwi:4531}}

{{gwi:4532}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Cryptomeria japonica 'tansu'

Comments (18)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Cool pics, Josh. If you like the Cryptomeria, I would urge you to also look into something that originated in your neighborhood - dwarf Mendocino cypress (Cupressus pigmaea). It's a fast grower and an excellent subject for bonsai, even if not yet all that popular.

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for having a peek, Al!
    Next time I'm at the local nursery, I'll look for Cupressus pigmaea.
    I think I might have seen a few small bonsai starts...perhaps I'll make a trip tomorrow morning...

Josh

• tchoco
    14 years ago

hello and thank you for your report.

Your cryptomeria is a little small but cryptomeria grow very fast. I have 2 which are planted in the ground for 3 years and now trunks are about 5 cm in height. When I planted it, it was the same of our.

• vickivaughan
    14 years ago

Try black dragon crypto if you can find it at a nursery near you. Very dense dark green foliage.
    vicki

Here is a link that might be useful: vicki@flatrockkoi.com

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Everyone!
    Tchoco - this cultivar is among the slowest-growing.

Vicki, thanks for the recommendation.
    There are 'Black Dragon' available at my local nursery, but they are a large-
    needled version of the 'Tansu,' essentially. A yard tree, I'd consider it. I do
    have a 'Sekkan-Sugi' for the yard. But I prefer the small foliage for bonsai...
    in this species at least. I also have a 'Vilmoriniana.'

Al,
    I looked for a Cupressus pigmaea, but no luck. It was all Microcarpa, Chamaecyparis,
    Crypto, and Juniper. I'll keep checking.

Josh

Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it hasn't crapped out as far as I can tell...and it even seems to be greening up again.
    Sorry, bad pics. But click the thumbnails for bigger bad pics ;)

{{gwi:4533}}

{{gwi:4534}}

Josh

Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't want to speak too soon, but it looks as though the 'Tansu' is really enjoying this mix! ;)

I always take pics of this tree at the wrong time of day....

{{gwi:4535}}

Josh

• larke
    13 years ago

What a difference - it even looks like a tree now :-)! And congrats on not going crazy pruning everything - I don't know if everyone could restrain themselves like that.

13 years ago

I was a little concerned about how dull the foliage looked upthread & thought you might be losing it, but it sure looks better now, after some TLC. Good job, Josh.

BTW - I had mentioned/suggested dwarf Mendocino cypress (Cupressus pigmaea) upthread. I was lucky enough to stumble upon some at a small bonsai nursery downstate earlier this summer. If you'd like one, I'd be happy to share. A friend (Jack Wikle) does a very nice job with them. Follow this link and scroll down to page 2 on the left to get a look at the growth habit.

Take care.

Al

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Larke and Al!
    Larke, the only pruning I've done was to alleviate some of the congestion which you
    mentioned last year. I haven't touched it since then! I wanted it to fill in and cover some
    of the burned/dried areas near the trunk. I am quite happy with the progress.

Al, that was probably just my terrible, over-exposed pic upthread! ;) This little tree
    sure does "dull out" as it transitions from winter bronze to summer green, though. And now
    it's covered in spider-web...which I brushed away for the pic...

I'd really love to work with a Mendocino cypress.
    Thank you for the link - let us make arrangements...

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Josh,
    It looks great!

Al~ I was courious and tried the link you gave and it's not working.. at least not for me. says document is gone.
    :(
    JJ

13 years ago

Me too - same massage. ;o)

Try copy/paste to your browser:

http://www.annarborbonsaisociety.org/newsletters/2009/Feb2009.pdf

Al

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Thanks Al~
    That worked. What a great little tree!
    JJ

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm back with an update....

The 'Tansu' was knocked off its bench by an overhasty cat last Spring, and has been struggling in the same cracked pot ever since - the crack causing the mix to dry more readily and making even moisture somewhat of an issue. And so, with rain forecasted for today, I decided to re-pot yesterday so that the tree could recuperate with a slow, natural watering.

With photobucket transitioning to a new and unworkable format, I'm going to add single pics per post via the GardenWeb feature, rather than loading them all to one post. This way, the images will be clickable for greater detail.

First, the tree in the old pot, sitting beside the new pot - a #2B nursery container:

Original Author
    11 years ago

Next, the roots. Definitely root-bound, but the roots are very healthy. The mix of fir bark, red lava rock, perlite, and quartzite promoted great root vitality:

Original Author
    11 years ago

Another view of the root-mass....

Original Author
    11 years ago

Re-potted in a fresh mix of screened fir bark, red lava rock (Scoria), perlite, and turface. I also potted the tree in an upright fashion.

Original Author
    11 years ago

And lastly, I took the tree to a protected area on the northeast side of the house, added a bamboo stake to keep the roots from moving in the new mix, sprinkled some Osmocote over the surface, and slowly watered the entire media.

This post was edited by greenman28 on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 11:29

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!