Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat0077

Complete Care For A Walmart Ficus Bonsai?

kat0077
15 years ago

Hi, everyone!

Okay, so I need some major help. My mother just bought two bonsai trees from Walmart a little over a week ago, and since she hasn't really been taking care of them, their care has now fallen onto me, as I can't bear to let them just sit there and die. The only problem is, I haven't the foggiest idea on what to do for them, at all. I'm the epitome of 'beginner', lol. I've been doing a ton of research today just to figure out what type of bonsai they are (My mom took the tags off, so I didn't get a chance to see, and she couldn't remember.), and I've come to the conclusion that they are Ficus Bonsai. At least I think so. I would post pictures, but I'm new here, and can't quite figure out how to do so.

Anyway, they both have a bit of moss on their bark. Is that normal? And they also have glued rocks, which I've read are bad for them? I'm going to try and get them off, but after that, I have no clue on what to do next for these little trees, and that's where I need the help. I don't know what to do to water them, like when, how often, or how much. Not what to do to prune them, or when to prune them or how often, if at all. I have no idea what to do with the soil when I re-pot them, or if I should even re-pot them once I get those awful stones out of the way. I don't even know HOW to re-pot them, lol. And I also read something about fertilizer?

I've tried to find sites to explain all this to me, but what I've found on their care is very vague. I would love detailed, step by step instructions on their overall care. Consider me completely clueless, which I pretty much am, lol. Any good websites you know of, or anything at all you can share would be absolutely wonderful, and an enormous help. I'm a bit overwhelmed, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to care for these guys.

Thanks,

Kat

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH