Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeker005

Newbie needing some advice

Seeker005
12 years ago

Hello everyone.

My name is Jacob and I am totally new to this. I have been trying to do research everywhere and reading as much as I can and I decided I would jump on here and talk about the MOUNTAIN OF INFORMATION there is on the art of Bonsai.

This is my first post, and I hope this goes over well.

Today, I did something some of you- I don't know any of you yet, but - may view as bad for someone starting out, but I rescued a Juniper from a local grocery store that was not being taken care of. I felt so bad and I figured since I am starting out, what would it hurt to try and help this poor plant out from this hell it was in.

Now I am researching up a storm and know very little but what I am reading.

One, this is a Juniper, what kind of Juniper...I have no clue.

It was very dry when I got it and I started looking into what I should do to water it. And the soil is very thin. Is this good? Should I re-pot it with new or a different soil?

I know NOTHING about where they plant has been or how it was being raised, but it is getting close to the end of winter, does that mean I forgo the dormancy? Do I start training and pruning it now or wait? It is pretty full looking and not very appealing to the eye yet, but that is part of the reason I got it was to start form a more neutral looking plant.

ANYTHING you can offer up is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacob

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus