Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for Fruiting Bonsai Plants

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 16:11

I've been making bonsai out of my pepper plants as a way to overwinter them for a couple years now while I waited for my main project to grow big enough to cut back (a eucalyptus gunnii, which I cut back a week or two ago, its doing fine).

I like that my bonsai have more uses than being purely ornamental. The bonchi (bonsai chilies) can and do produce pods while being bonsai, I've got a blueberry that I've trained into a bonsai, and I'm considering getting an actual tea plant (camellia sinensis) to make into a bonsai as well. All of which produce fruit or edible leaves.

What other ideas are there for bonsai that will produce fruit or other useful bits? Main issue I see with most of the trees/shrubs that spring to mind (mulberry, cherry, even a grape vine) is that they have very large broad leaves. Not exactly ideal for a bonsai that you want to keep producing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for Fruiting Bonsai Plants

Welp, decision was made for me, more or less.

The big box stores have their fruit trees in. My cherry trees could seriously use some grafting to help fill them out (as well as help with pollination). While I was looking through the trees I found one with a very character filled graft union that would look great as a bonsai.

So, I'll be chopping the top part of the new tree apart for scion wood, and turning the bottom half into a bonsai.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here