Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone use Osmocote?

Posted by Kazoo1 z9 CA sacto (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 16:43

I sprinkled a little in with this year's repot dirt.
I've had plants in it before and it doesn't seem to dissolve. Just the same lil balls after a year or more.
Does it work? Is it any good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone use Osmocote?

its a slow release fertilizer. Works well for what it does. The small pellets are made of clay i think that will be visable for a few years

o

Not sure what the pellets are made of, but when you sprinkle them on, they are a solid color, and when used up, they are more translucent, or clear. I use them in addition to organic fertilizer pellets, but the organics are my first choice.

Chris

o

I like Dynamite (Home Depot). Basically the same thing, only the pellets are grey and not near as visually offensive as Osmocote.
Clay

o

I prefer dynamite also; they have 2 types--1 for evergreen foliar type plants and 1 for flowering/fruiting species. I like the one for flowering/fruiting species as it seems to boost root growth, which is important for what we want to do with our bonsai.

o

Osmocote is temperature controlled. The pores in the coating (which the little balls are made of) only "open" up enough to release the fertlizer within when temperatures are above the high 60s. The "Osmo" in the name refers to osmosis--the traveling of a solution through a membrane (very rough translation) That means there can be a tendency--on warmer spring days--for the fertilizer to "dump" its load all at once, especially when (soil surface)temperatures can rise rapidly above 70.

Be careful in application, don't lay down a thick layer of the stuff hoping to fuel growth. You may wind up getting an overdose in the soil. This can happen when leaves are opening in the spring--the plant isn't using the fertilizer until leaves fully open anyway--when temperatures can spike in late afternoon.

o

I have gotten plants (either from nurserys or bonsai dealers, I don't remember exactly) where repeated doses of osmocote left depleted globules so thick one couldn't see the soil.

Clay

o

Clay,

I've seen that too, especially with plants trucked in from further south. Osmocote is easy to use and cheaper than other fertilizers. Repeated applications over a number of years can build up quite a layer of this stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here