Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first Bonsais - Plant ID

Posted by spaceman13 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 17:47

I've been wanting to try Bonsai for some time, on a trip to the local nursery to apply for a weekend job, to buy more plants and get a discount to boot.

I got 2 plants from the small Bonsai section, the one on the left is labeled "Ficus Nerifolia", the one on the right is labeled "Succulents and Cactus - 4in"
It's obviously a succulent...any idea what kind? I'd like to be able to find out the light and water requirements.

Being my first effort, my ultimate goal is just to keep them alive. Although I feel the Ficus is doomed, as I decided to mist it after potting, and accidentally grabbed my Febreeze instead of my misting bottle...Don't ask why they were on the same shelf. (Stupidity comes to mind)
I flushed the crap out of it with water, but I'm not too optimistic. On a brighter note, It sure smells nice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first Bonsais - Plant ID

• Posted by ronf z4 MN (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 14:56

The succulent looks like a species of Senecio, but, I'm not sure which species, perhaps barbentonicus.

Ron

o
RE: My first Bonsais - Plant ID

Senecio, is a genus of the daisy family (Asteraceae) that includes ragworts and groundsels. The flower heads are normally rayed, completely yellow, and the heads are borne in branched clusters. Senecio is one of the largest genera of flowering plants,and despite the separation of many species into other genera it still contains 1250 species of varied form, including leaf, stem and tuber succulents, annuals, perennials, aquatics, climbers, shrubs and small trees. Some species produce natural biocides (especially alkaloids) to deter or even kill animals that would eat them.

It looks like Senecio articulatus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here