Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigshoes213

Ideas for my Fukien Tea Anyone???

bigshoes213
16 years ago

This is my Fukien tea bonsai. I have not trimmed it yet. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to trim and what shape would be good for this bonsai. I have had it almost 2 months and wanted to make sure it was happy before experimenting. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I was wondering also if anyone had any pictures of their own fukien tea bonsai that I could look at. Thanks everyone.

{{gwi:4920}}

{{gwi:4921}}

{{gwi:4922}}

Comments (6)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Tell us what you are doing/using to keep it alive now - lighting? Humidity? Temperature? The bottom of your trunk is wet - not a great sign, but it otherwise looks fine. You need to cut back the long branches to about a couple of leaf pairs each to get ramification (smaller and more twigs with more foliage and eventual smaller leaves). Plus choose which major branches you want to keep long term. Once the stragglers are cut back and the majors thinned, it'll be easier to see the inner structure and give you more idea.

• bigshoes213
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is located in an east window with a light above it which stays on at least 12 hours a day. There is plenty of new growth on the tree and I watered it a couple days ago. How do I prevent the trunk from getting wet? How come it has not dried out? I water when the dirt becomes dry (the first couple of inches) and it stays around 70F in my house.

• lucy
    16 years ago

What Kind of light is how Far above it for 12 hrs/day? The trunk being wet is due to the soil never drying properly even on top, and that's because it's probably 'potting' soil (99% peat) and half of it should be changed to 50% perlite & 50% little, glassy (not enamel) aquarium gravel... i.e. 50% soil & 50% grit, but a larger particle, coarser soil than potting would be better. Your roots can rot as will the trunk if you don't improve the drainage. Also don't keep the pot in drain water as that has the same effect, but sit it on stones in a wide tray of water, but make sure the water never reaches the pot bottom - now you'll have necessary humidity, but roots that aren't sodden all the time (you've gotten away with it so far because FT's need water more often than some other plants, but you won't get away with it forever. You need a very high light source immediately above the tree (not room light 'feet' away) for up to 16 hrs/day, a full spectrum T5 fluorescent 6" away wouldn't be too much.

• hannahbelle
    16 years ago

Re training/styling, it's very difficult to give you any ideas from these photos because it's growing so enthusiatically that it's impossible to see the trunk & branch structure.

It looks to me like the trunk is in an s shape (this is not really in fact a traditional Bonsai shape because it's a bit artificial, but that does not mean it's 'not allowed'!). I'm going to hazard a guess that you might like a look something like the link below?

If that's what you are going for, you need to select a limited number of primary branches coming off the trunk (I think you have too many at the mo - maybe you want to take of one/a couple from the bottom at least). If there are curves in the trunk, the branches should ideally be coming from outside the curves. Once you have selected these,you need to decide if you think they are thick enough in proportion to the trunk. If they are not, you may wish to avoid pruning the branches coming off them as this is supposed to encourage branch thickening. Once you decide they are you need to work on the ramification (that means encouraging lots of small branches, with many small close together leaves) - this will hopefully allow you to create those little 'pads' of foliage. As explaned above the way to do this is to cut the secondary branches short to encourage them to create more smaller subranches, then you cut these as well, etc. In general the more light your tree is getting, the easier it will be to get small dense leaves.

I think repotting in something a little less water retentive is a good idea of the long term health of your tree too. There are about a million different bonsai soil 'recipes' available on the net. The most important thing is to come up with a combination that you can afford and that demonstrates the two key characteristics of being free draining, and aerated.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:4919}}

• bigshoes213
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alright the soil has been changed to 50% soil mixed with 25% perlite and 25% little rocks. the trunk is dry. My question is should i cut every branch back to where it has 2 sets of leaves or only certain ones?? I have trimmed a few back so it is not so big. But i dont want to over do in case i am wrong. I just want to get a second opinion. Thanks everyone for their input. Christina

• lucy
    16 years ago

It's up to you - the idea is to encourage each cut twig to become a two-headed new branch, but if you don't want that in any particular area, then either cut that twig off altogether, or let it grow out for a longer time than the others and then cut it (so it will always be shorter, if that's what you want in terms of foliage) and allow it to multiply.