Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thehodge

i want to get something started in charleston

thehodge
12 years ago

there are no gardening events in charleston at all; and where as im only in the area for this year. The onset of spring is immenent i think it would be awesome to get a show started and see if maybe we could have a small fee to enter and hold it at one of the plantations. this would be an awesome oppertunity to get together with other bonsai artists and discuss tecniques and enjoy the absolute beauty of the flowering of spring. please let me know what you all think. i would like to set something up for either april or may. so time is of the essence.

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

It doesn't sound like you have the experience to do this on your own, but your enthusiasm is a valuable asset. I think your best hope would be to get involved with a club and offer your services so it becomes a group effort. Who knows - maybe you'll find that this is your calling & you'll eventually figure out a way to make a living at it - or at least turn it into a labor of love. Wouldn't THAT be just the best thing ever?! ;-)

You could call Jeanne Thompson from the Seabrook Island Club (803)768-2192 and see what she has to say.

Al

• thehodge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ive tried calling her but the number isnt valid. I find it depressing there is not one single bonsai club down here. Im even more disappointed that the owner of a store here that exclusively sells bonsai has refused to get one going. She said itd be too much of a hassle. "To what?" i ask set up a meeting schedule an place and brew some tea andhave a discussion. I just dont get it.

• thehodge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ive tried calling her but the number isnt valid. I find it depressing there is not one single bonsai club down here. Im even more disappointed that the owner of a store here that exclusively sells bonsai has refused to get one going. She said itd be too much of a hassle. "To what?" i ask set up a meeting schedule an place and brew some tea andhave a discussion. I just dont get it.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Usually, if you can find an experienced artist or two - and I don't mean a traveling presenter that does workshops & demos, just a couple of practitioners proficient in the art, you can get something going.

You could start by contacting a few folks and baiting them by saying, "If I can find us a place willing to let us have a monthly gathering, would you guys help support the endeavor by attending the meeting and helping me get the word out?" It's not easy. I'm a past president of a club that was around fore more than 30 years, but went under in Jan due to lack of commitment. We had SEVERAL thousand dollars in the treasury we donated to the MI Nurserymen's Assn so they could offer it as a scholarship.

A club is definitely very helpful, but it's not absolutely necessary to the future of budding artists. What IS essential, is a thorough understanding of soils and a good working knowledge of woody plant physiology. If you don't put some effort into increasing your knowledge in those areas, it's likely that your enthusiasm will before long give way to frustration. You can place whatever value on what I said that suits you, but I've seen a lot of people come to bonsai, enamoured of the pretty little trees, and as many give up because they couldn't keep their plants alive or healthy. That's a priority ..... or should be, IMO.

Best luck to you. I really do admire your enthusiasm! I love to see that in plant people and always gravitate toward that trait.

Al

Sponsored