Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blabberboca

HELP! Ginseng ficus (I think) leaves turning yellow!

blabberboca
10 years ago

Uh-oh. I've had this little bonsai tree for over a year, and I think I'm killing it. I got it at Lowe's (my first mistake) and it was just labeled "bonsai tree," but I think it's a ginseng ficus, right?

Anyway, it sits a few feet diagonally away from a south-facing window. It has gravel glued on to the top, so I've never been able to check the soil moisture (another mistake, I know). In the fall, I was watering it every two weeks or so, and for the past couple months, I had cut back to about every three weeks. I'm guessing now that this was not enough, but I swear, it never seemed upset! It's always done very well, until recently.

About a month ago, I noticed some leaves were turning yellow, so I fertilized it with a little bit of Miracle Gro liquid houseplant food. Please don't judge me if these were all massive mistakes -- I'm new at this!

So, now, the leaves are turning yellow at a quite rapid rate, and I'm just wondering ... Is there anything I can do to save it?! It's now been one week since the last time I watered it -- should I start watering it more often immediately, or will that shock it? I'd be VERY grateful for any advice! I love this little guy!

Comments (3)

Sponsored