Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevip711

Dead Juniper and Elm?

kevip711
18 years ago

When do you know if they are dead? The elm has lost all leaves except for a few and the juniper is all yellow.. I am assuming the juniper is gone but curious about the elm.. maybe it just lost all leaves due to change in temp or environment but will come back.. any advice?.. I did move them to the garage and covered them as advised.. and why is it the cheap home depot ones I bought all seem to be fine and expensive one I bought at the bonsai place are the ones that are dying?

Comments (23)

• lucy
    18 years ago

What do you mean by 'covered' them (in the garage)? You can tell if the elm is alive by giving a short hard scratch on the trunk, and if the layer under the bark is green, you're o.k., but otherwise not. This isn't always as reliable with evergreens, though.

• gnome_in_pa
    18 years ago

Kevip,

DonÂt give up on the Elm too quickly, it may still recover. Scratch the bark a little and look for green underneath, or nip the end of a branch off and check it for green. Use a magnifying glass to look for any emerging buds. If you are lucky enough too see buds swelling I would get the tree back outside before any actual leaves have emerged so that they are accustomed to full sun from the start.
    As for why your "cheap" plants are thriving, if they are not the same species there isnÂt much point trying to make comparisons.

Earlier you wrote:
    "It consistently loses about 5 or so leaves a day. I keep it indoors under florescent light and fairly close to a window."

I feel that you simply got off to a bad start with this tree, Randy was quite correct in saying that this tree should be kept outdoors.

Later you wrote:
    "Soil was dry so that is why I watered about every other day."

This after the tree had lost many leaves and was obviously in poor health. It could be that in your efforts to revive it you may have made matters worse by over watering.

You also wrote:
    "I water all my bonsai's with the spray bottle."

When your tree needs to be watered it needs to be watered thoroughly, not sprayed with a bottle. Frankly I am confused as to exactly how you treated this tree and when. It is very difficult to second guess your work at a distance. I donÂt mean to be harsh but if the tree was in good health when you purchased it you obviously did something wrong and ultimately you are the one who has to determine what that was so you donÂt repeat your mistake. By the way it is an unfortunate fact of bonsai culture that beginners and even more experienced practitioners kill trees from time to time. As Lucy said, "
    It's all a giant learning experience, we all lose some".

Norm

Here is a link that might be useful: Please read this.

• lucy
    18 years ago

And it could be as simple as having spider mites. Spray the foliage hard every day with water, and another reason to keep them outside is good air circulation and natural humidity, not to mention any kind of bug that might like spider mites!

• kevip711
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, will scratch the trunk and see and bring it outside because I want this one to make it. I was instructed to cover it in a saran wrap and put by a window in the garage so thats what I did. It only has a few leaves left. Initially I was told at the store that it would do fine in the office but apparently it did not.. The juniper I think is toast, the limbs and leaves are all brittle and yellow. I am not too concerned over this one; would love for it to make it but costs wise it wasnt a big hit on the pocket book.

As for the bottle its just the easy way to water it, I didnt spay it once or twice, I gave it a good water down, the water did have a small mixture of superthrive in it and I always used distilled water. No better or worse then using a water hose or can to water it. I really dont think I overwatered, it just didnt like the change in environment is my guess. I dont see any mites, I looked very closely. Again will bring it outside and see if the elm makes it.. thanks

Still puzzled why the sago, ficus and money tree bonsais look healthy as can be, there was no real difference in treatments or watering but these three are fine. All were bought at different times at HD and the two failing trees were bought at the Dallas Bonsai store..???

• lucy
    18 years ago

Never use distilled water on plants... tap water is fine. The juniper may have been watered much too often (the usual cause of their demise, especially indoors) and a lot of people have reported on spider mites with their elms this year. The reason some of your plants are o.k. is that whatever you did worked for those plants, but all plants have very different needs.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Scratched the Elm its still green on the inside so guess its still alive and kicking, Juniper, well I think its a gonner but havent thrown it out yet.. So no on the distilled water??

• gnome_in_pa
    18 years ago

Kevip,

In the fall of 94 I purchased a pot of small ficus at the local box store. They were potted in a peat heavy soil mix and I watered infrequently to accomodate this mix. The next spring I repotted the trees into my usual free draining mix, unfortunately I neglected to adjust my watering schedule accordingly and nearly killed them before I noticed.

Perhaps the answer to your question is as simple as the soil mix used at the bonsai nursery. The only thing that can be put on a schedule when watering your trees is you, check them daily and water when neccessary. Did you follow the link?

I did not neccessarily mean that you should move the tree outside immediately, but that you do so as soon as any leaves begin to emerge. You have to make these decisions based on the condition of the tree. No person on-line, no matter how well intentioned can take your place.

Norm

• kevip711
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All the leaves left on the elm are dead.. Both plants dirt were dry so gave them both a water and put them both outside; temps are warmer now so should be ok.. Sounds like this is really a art and not so simple as taking care of a palm or regular plant. I have enough hard time keeping my palms alive each year.. Will hope for the best for them but not sure what else to do for them. I didnt see any new buds yet but like I said its still green right under the bark.

• lucy
    18 years ago

If the elm's soil has some grit in there and water doesn't sit on top, but runs fairly freely out the drain holes when you water, don't be afraid to do so when the top of the soil and a bit more is dry because it can take it a lot more often than the juniper, for instance, especially once it has new growth (it's possible you didn't give it enough after all I guess). I do think your jun's gone, unfortunately, but elms bounce back really well, so just give it some time.

• jw2189
    18 years ago

I don't think you can compare your ficus and money tree to the elm. They are tropical plants and do quite well indoors, at a lower light. The elm is just that - an elm - and wants only to be a tree - outside! I have 2 elms that I've had for over 10 years. They've gone from Buffalo, NY, to central NJ, to Charleston SC with me, and they have stayed outside the entire time. In the colder climates, they were protected in the winter in a crate with yard raked leaves covering the pots, and watered about twice a month. Here in the South, I just leave them out. With a little water, and lots of sun and fresh air, and just a little fertilizer, they've rewarded me every year!

I don't know who told you that elms and junipers would do well inside; that's my major bonsai 'peeve'! Trees are - well - trees! They want to be outdoors!

• kevip711
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Search the web for Elms most sites say excellent indoor plant. I have kept it outside for the last week or so. No leaves on it and dont see any budding buts its still alive. Juniper didnt make it so I buried him today.. Still have hope for the Elm and will keep him outside. I water it every few days when the soil is dry.

• lucy
    18 years ago

Make sure the elm is kept watered 'enough' - every 'few' days outside (where it's going to dry much faster than inside) may be often enough, but it should be coming out the drain holes.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Will do, hey Lucy dont forget to clean out your inbox or sent mail.. the last emails and pics I sent you got bounced back as your mailbox is full..

• lucy
    18 years ago

Oh thank you! It's been cleaned out because you aren't the only one who told me, but if you still have whatever you sent, could you send it again? Thanks!

• kevip711
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would but I cant remember what I was going to send you.. The elm so far hasnt created any new buds yet for new leaves, any idea how long this takes?

• lucy
    18 years ago

Can't say for sure, could be weeks, but the longer there aren't any, the less likely it is you'll see them. It's really hard to predict which particular tree in which particular conditions, after which particular events, is going to do what! I'd look at some new ones myself, if only to keep from fussing the poor thing to death. If it doesn't make it, you'll feel a lot better with something else to work on that's needing attention.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have enough to do with building out my koi pond.. almost ready to put in the liner..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Holy Shi$#%# its alive,, got some bud today, leaves starting to come out.. I think my problem was not enough water.. and maybe should of kept outside instead of inside like I was told was ok.. thanks for advice lucy and all.. juniper RIP..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Its still alive but only a limited number of leaves came back.. was expecting a large amount.. guess this is normal?

• lucy
    18 years ago

Hi Kev, how've you been? It may stay that way this year, tho' I'm not saying it will, but should be better next year, and each time you prune foliage in spring, should pop more out for you to style.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, just curious.. not sure if I gave you my website but here it is.. sign the guest book when you get a chance..

Here is a link that might be useful: My Site

• ermbonsai
    16 years ago

So what is the concensus on proper care for a Juniper (P. Nana)? Should a spray it once a day? Water it when the top part of the soil is dry? How much sun (hours)? Direct sun? Sun through a window? Filtered sun (sun through opened venitain blinds)? How do I know if my juniper is being stressed by too much/not enough watering and sun?

As you can tell, I just got a juniper bonsai. smile

• lucy
    16 years ago

Erm... you really should have started a new thread here so we all don't have to read all the old stuff! I suggest you go to www.bonsai4me.com and look up juniper care. But no, don't spray it. Depending on where you live, it should normally live outdoors forever, but not if it's been in and it's winter still where you live. Water when more of the soil than less is dry and give it lots of sun. There is a lot more too it however, soil mix, etc., so do not depend on my 4 tips!

Sponsored