Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daw_etc

japanese maple

daw_etc
15 years ago

Is there any really good instructions for bonsai(ing?) a japanese maple?

My step mom really wants to try this and I wanted to find an online guide that's easy to understand but all the websites I've looked at are complicated. Do you know of any that are for beginners and maybe have pictures of the steps or something??

Thank you!

Comments (4)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi, good intentions, but I might have to be a little negative here (sorry!). It's just not that simple, because you first need to know all you can about the species you want to work with, but then you need to know about applying bonsai techniques, not just to that tree, but in general - in other words you need to understand why you'd do one thing or the other - giving you e.g. a 10 step lesson would raise so many more questions re what is meant by this term or that, etc. that you'd end up taking at least a mini, or beginner course in bonsai, and the internet is not the place to do that (as you may have begun to find out - "all the websites are complicated"). Bonsai is an "ology" in itself, not a quick fix to turn a plant into a decorative house (or garden) plant. If, in fact, you manage to find somewhere on the 'net that gives you a quick fix to bonsai a tree, maple or otherwise, presuming you know next to nothing about bonsai to begin with, do yourself (and mother) a huge favor and stay far, far away from there. See instead if you can find a local club to join - they're great places to learn because you see how things are done in person. Also read whatever you can get your hands on (start with the book review section of www.bonsaisite.com (under General Discussion) for some ideas as there are sooo many books, but many are out of date, or translated badly from other parts of the world and have confusing terminology or explanations. DO go to www.bonsai4me.com for some basics, but don't spend your money on any plants or trees until you have a better idea what it's all about (those little cuttings-stuck-in-pots at Wal-Mart are just that, not "bonsai" and all it takes is a few days of 'wrong' care to have thrown your money away unless you know what you're doing, especially as the "care" tags on them are so general as to be worse than useless - they don't apply to 'that' tree, and are almost guaranteed to kill most of them quickly!

• head_cutter
    15 years ago

However...there may be a way around this problem 'cause I'll bet she also wants to keep it in the house too. Japanese Maples are/can be a finiky pain to grow too anyway. If step really has the bug to begin at bonsai why not try something simple?

Most garden centers, Wally-World, Home Depo etc. should have Ficus, close to the point is Ficus Retusa-Microcarpa. These have a oval shaped leathery leaf, will reduce some with a little work but--most importantly--are sort of the 'junkyard dogs' of little trees.

They will take lack of care and abuse that would kill most other things, can be pruned overly hard but will bud back readily and will grow pretty well under most conditions. Actually I think they enjoy being abused. Other than allowing them to get frost or freezing they will adapt to most light, temp and water conditions while not shocking much.

Last--they can make a beautiful tropical Bonsai in a few years!

• daw_etc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, I never said she had it inside. It is an outside plant, in a pot. She commented that it looked like it wanted to be a bonsai because of how it looked like a miniature big tree and said she'd like to try that.
    So she is not looking to buy new or easier plants.
    I should have thought before posting in the forum dedicated to this topic as I forgot I'd run into people who are so into it. That's not an insult it's just, she made one comment and I thought I'd look for some basic info for her as a favor. Maybe I will look up info on trimming and maintaining small japanese maples instead as the word "bonsai" seems to bring about lots and lots of info.
    Thanks.

• head_cutter
    15 years ago

Ok, i just assumed that she was looking at a Jap. Maple, shows that 'assuming' ain't always right. The site that Lucy pointed you to should help cut some of the clutter and make things easier. Have fun.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner