Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buddaboy_gw

Bougainvillea Help?

buddaboy
16 years ago

Gday, During a storm two weeks after Xmas, a workmate told me that the Bougainvillea in his front yard blew over. I collected it on the 29th Jan, and put it into my greenhouse mid Feb ( we had a cold snap LOL ). Took it out today & took a picture. I have posted a composite pic, My partner claims to be 5 foot 1, She also isnt real happy to be posted on the net.

She will forgive me. Anyway, the right hand side pic was taken at potting time, for my records. My Question? Any good ideas what I can do with the tree? I havent really dealt with the size of this tree before, and it is a bit scary.

Thank You,

buddaboy

aka Ron

Comments (5)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Hi... wow, what a monster! Tell your partner she looks fine - the tree is the monster :-). Well, my second thoughts are that it would really help to see other sides of the tree, as it's not clear which branches are coming from where in the one view, that there do seem to be 'too many' branches, but can't see which to suggest cutting, but that having allowed them to grow at all from the one area has promoted a lumpy place that spoils taper - which you can choose to ignore, or else spend time carving up, or write off the whole thing. How many of you does it take to move that thing?

• buddaboy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lucy, It takes just me to move the tree, but I only have to drag it LOL. Ive since cut the shoots down half size( and got stabbed ), and put it back in my green house. Ive taken some circling pics today, but im not sure how to put more than one pic in the gallery. I may email them to you if thats ok? When I dug the tree out, it only had a 4 inch long root left. I let it grow as much as possible to encourage new root growth. I also struck 2 two inch thick branching sections, and they are going well too.
    Ron

• lucy
    16 years ago

Well however you put one pic up, do another from the opposite side, and another from some other side. I'm sorry I don't know how to do it either, but you can use places like Photobucket and give a link to that pic in a posting here.

• buddaboy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lucy, I posted four pics of the quarter turns on the gallery.

: )

Ron

• lucy
    16 years ago

Hi - well good for you, though the leaves still make it a bit hard to sort out what's what. Have you done any carving before, or do you plan to, or are you just waiting for the right time? You need to decide to some extent where you want the tree to be in a while, to make some choices about what to keep and what not to. I do suggest getting rid of that one shorter branch smack in the middle (boug #4), and the short one right against and under a taller one in the front of boug #3. In #2, I just noticed a straight up big branch/trunk coming up from behind (left) the nice trunk line in front and realized it's the flat top thingy, the one wrapped in two short arms... and I think maybe all of that has to just go away (if there's any way to do it without killing the whole tree - leaving you with the 2-large branch trunk that I think is the best part. All of that being said, I will say again that most of the branches have no taper, and it'll be hard to make the tree graceful.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia