Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Splitting a nursery juniper

Posted by radiocom California (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 9:48

Hello,
I purchased a Green Juniper from the local home improvement store and it has three nice size trunks. Would the juniper survive if I cut the third trunk away from the others to make two bonsai's?

I am wanting to saw down thru the middle of the root system to obtain as much rooting with each segment of trunk.

Hope I am explaining this correctly.

Thanks for looking and advising.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Splitting a nursery juniper

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 14:28

It should take it in stride with no problem, as long as there are roots remaining on each half that can 'feed' each of the stems on each of the plants. IOW, there has to be roots connected to the vein/cambium that feeds each stem/branch. If there isn't, the stem/branch won't survive, so keep that in mind.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here