Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalenlynz

possible yamadori?

dalenlynz
11 years ago

I have the oppertunity to dig up a couple of trees not sure wot it is yet but was wondering weather it wud be gud bonsai material

Comments (25)

• nelsoncastro
    11 years ago

Bonsai trees are miniature trees that are grown in containers as a form of Japanese art. They are great for small apartments or offices that need a bit of a green touch but don't have much room for plants.

Bonsai trees can be as anywhere from miniature (6 inches tall) to large bonsai (up to 3 ft tall). Decide what size bonsai you would like before actually going out to select the plant.

When choosing a plant, look for leaf color to make sure that the plant is healthy. Then look around at the selection of plants and imagine what each plant would look like after it is pruned. It's important to visualize the bonsai.

Prune the tree to the desired shape. Wire any branches that need to be wired. Remove the plant from its existing pot and water the roots. Most of the roots will be cut before the plant is repotted into the bonsai pot. Cut away enough roots so that the root system can fit securely in the new pot with the proper amount of soil.

• dalenlynz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I dont want to Sound rude but what relevance does this have. I asked for opinions on the tree in question which to my delight I now know the species what you have told me is basically a dictionary description of bonsai lol

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

.... can't see the bark & twigs well enough to ID it from the picture. Don't keep it a secret - what is it ..... and where do you live?

Al

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

To me it just looks like they are trying to help. You get that on cordial forums like this... a good thing IMO.

• dalenlynz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Uk and its a berberis my brother inlaw was gunna chop it to pieces theres more of them ill get more pics this afternoon

• dalenlynz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another 1

• dalenlynz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another 1

{{!gwi}}

• dalenlynz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tree2

• dalenlynz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my favourite

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Interesting....that last shot looks much like the Euonymous that my brother just planted.

Josh

• lulo
    10 years ago

is possible making bonsai this yamadori firethorn?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, it's possible.
    Will require a very hard chop.

Josh

• lulo
    10 years ago

thank you Josh . I am worry for the new grouth that are only on the bottom of the trunc

Lulo

• moochinka
    10 years ago

It's better to have new growth on the bottom than just on the top! The bottom of the trunk will thicken faster this way and you'll be able to chop the top way down! You're lucky to have found it.

• lulo
    10 years ago

I colected this oak a year ago. I am not sure if it is a good time this early summer, to repot it in a bonsai pot.
    can somebody tell me anything about it?

• moochinka
    10 years ago

Lulo - start a new thread so we don't have to go thru the previous stuff to see what was said about something else... thanks.

• moochinka
    10 years ago

But right now it's really just a stick in a pot with no personality. You need to either begin styling it in about 6 wks, or put it back in the ground to develop faster, or something, but a smaller pot won't change a lot at this point.

• lulo
    10 years ago

I chop the trunk of firethorn and put some wet cotton on the top to stimulate mew growth

• moochinka
    10 years ago

I'm afraid you're going to stimulate new fungus or mold especially if there's any sun around. That's not the best way to do things and it's unlikely to sprout from the top anyway... more so from the sides in its own time if it wants to do it at all. If you have bottom growth, let it grow and clean away a bit of the soil once the new sprouts have started hardening, then just let them grow until you make choices about which ones to keep. At some future time (years) you can cut off the flat top of the trunk to make a more graceful slant.

This post was edited by moochinka on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 19:49

• lulo
    10 years ago

i have colected this weekend this tree . I do not now what kind of tree it is. But i am sure toake a beautoful bomsai

• lulo
    10 years ago

i have colected this weekend this tree . I do not now what kind of tree it is. But i am sure toake a beautoful bomsai

{{!gwi}}

• lulo
    10 years ago

sorry for my bad english

• moochinka
    10 years ago

Good luck with it and don't worry about your English!

• lulo
    10 years ago

thank you moochinka. but if any body now what kind of tree is this i will be very pleased .thanks

• moochinka
    10 years ago

It looks so familiar!