Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yama_gw

Free class of Miniture bonsai with moss

yama
17 years ago

Hi all

If you are in metro Atlanta area Please come by to Smith & Hawken Marietta store.

4475 Roswell Rd #1600. Marietta Ga 30062. 770- 578-8771

ask to James, store manager. one block west?or noth toward Roswell. near intersection of Jhoson ferry and Roswell road intersection.

Day and time. April 7. Saturday 11:00 AM

At Smisth & Hawken Marietta store.

Instactor: Mike Yamakami

cost: free

Topic

how to make miniture bonsai with moss/ Kokedama. using weeds, seedling from your back yard or friend's.

Kokedama use no bonsai tray. many of tray I use salsa cup, soup bowl, candleholder, mug cup at bargain price. some don't use bonsai tray at all. Old cotton sock can be used also.

If you have any other questions. come early or stay late

I can answer about Japanese gardening. how to maintain plants and care it. propagation, pruning etc.

Comments (18)

• lucy
    17 years ago

The trouble here is that people are constantly encouraged not to use moss on their bonsai because it fights with the trees over water, and keeping it alive can kill a tree that needs to dry out between waterings. Plus what does all that other stuff (cups, etc.) have to do with bonsai - it may make you a profit, but it's not bonsai! And... "using weeds" ????

• bonsai_audge
    17 years ago

Lucy, I think that it's more geared towards Kokedama as opposed to (what could be called) "traditional" bonsai. Check out this website on Kokedama. From the pictures that I see (just scrolling towards the bottom of that page), it seems that it's a different take on bonsai.

Personally, it looks like a medium between accent plantings and bonsai. I had seen them before in a Japanese magazine; they can take on a rather simple, elegant look (dare I say reminiscent of ikebana?) and seem to be very casual in appearance. Hence, the use of weeds or seedlings.

- Audric

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi lucy
    Moss can live without water for months. Since moss don't have real roots like other higher plants, moss need moisture in air not much in soil. When Japanese start bonsai, old falks tell to newbe that learn watering take at least 3 years.

Past 20 years or so, Japanese went to miniture bonsai with moss. because easy to make, easy to maintain and cheap to make and repalce. It is adapeted to new life styl of Japanese)
    moss help to maintain small bonsai pot's moist also make bonsai more natunal look.

kokedama bonsai don't use any pots. wrap with moss to keep soil and moist. it is new trend in Japan. 30 years ago, when people want to buy bonsai, they go to large department stores and Bonsai nusery or buy from individual bosai grower.
    Today you can buy bonsai at flower shop, grocery stores in Japan. unthinkable 30 years ago.

What is definition of weeds ? do you know?. rose, pine tree, azalea can be called weed if they grow wrong place.
    Useing weeds in bonai is nothing new.
    What "bon" and "sai" mean too you? It is not greek or Latain. ^^. Iam a Japanese and know what bonsi is. I am not making any profit and not selling anything too. Iam going to show how people can enjoy plants/bonsai without spendind lot's of money and how easy to make some bonsai.( Not all of then. I know that treditional bosai take years of practice and knowlege, skills and take lot's of money too)

Lucy, Pick up new Japanese bonsai books and learn new trend of today's Bonsai in Japan. You can use some new ideas to your treditional way of Bonsai..........yama

• lucy
    17 years ago

Ok, I understand, but I have to say that for me, interesting as it is, it seems more like a new fad in decorating, rather than a serious art using trees and a lot of horticultural knowledge, not to mention the artistry involved. I hope it doesn't replace traditional bonsai altogether in Japan, but good luck with your interest.

• paul3636
    17 years ago

Mike - Lucy
    I just read George Schenk book "Gradening on pavements, Tables, and hard surfaces." This must also be a trend because he plants trees, shrubs, etc. etc. on anything and evrything is an expert on the use of moss. His other book "moss gardening" was very informative.
    Paul

• mzkrista
    17 years ago

Wish you were in the Cleveland Ohio area Yama!
    Mzkrista

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Lucy
    Please don't take personal criticism or anthing like that.^^. I read news paper and look for class. But many classes are $20 to $150 even offered by extetion service are not free nowaday. I was looking for inexpensively anyone can enjoy wonderfull world of plants kingdom.
    Traditionaly we japanese spend lot's of money for bonsai pot and bonsai tree/plants. Some bonsai collector hire professional "bonsai shi" to work on his collection of bonsai. becouse of cost and life styl have been changed,popularity of bonsai is going down. Number of menber of Omiya Bonsi Kumiai/ trade association of bonsai are much smaller than 50 years ago. Even name of city of omiya no longer exist on Japanese map. Now it is called Saitama shi.
    I am Japanese gardener by trade. We are loseing Japanese garden in Japan. Believe or not English Garden are very popuar in Japan. we like or not, market or need of green industory is changing.^^. Young peoples don't want be gardener.

Few Years back, I tought Japanese gardening to few students. One came from South Carolina to Atlanta driving 200mile one way. other came from Alabama, Bermingham he also drive about 120 mile one way. Cady came from Boston MA,Edzard was coming from Alberta Canada but snow storm hit the day he was heading to Atlanta. Since I lost home, tools , equipments and many plants. I am trying to fill emputyness. that is truth.... no profit or money driveing me to have class.

Paul
    I looked the book. but I have moss books in Japanese ^^ . Japanese is easier for me to read than English.

mzkrista.
    you never know future^^. Do you know Obilin Univercity ?
    It is long story but my school's founder graduated Obilin unvercity, When he started private mission school in Tokyo named Obilin gakuen/school.

audric.
    How is your school? You must be busy to studying^^ .keep up your good work. If I can do something for you ,Let's me to know.
    latly I have been sending Buddhism books which may , may not relate to Japanese garden to few of my internet friends. If you are intrested those Buddhism book(s)and
    CD I am happy to send books,CD to you.
    WWW.myjapanesegarden.org
    Many of guy you know are move to
    this website...............yama

• mzkrista
    17 years ago

Yama,
    I live soooo close to Oberlin university 15 miles away! That so interesting. Mzkrista

• lucy
    17 years ago

Yama - it never occurred to me to take anything personally, but the fact is, this IS a 'Bonsai' forum, not a Kokedama forum, and as your methods are very different in some respects to what we do in bonsai, it may well confuse some people who come here to learn bonsai, and then are told, for instance, about how to treat wisteria (by tying up the roots) to get flowers, which usually don't grow until the plant is 8 years old. There is nothing wrong with Kokedama, but it isn't really 'bonsai', and maybe your information should not suddenly be taking over the bonsai forum, but entered on a different one, whether 'House plants', or something else.... Do you think you could even get a new one started on Kokedama? That would be great, because I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.

• gabro14
    17 years ago

I find this very interesting as well. I lurk in this forum quite a bit because I find the art of bonsai very interesting (but know nothing about it!). It's nice to see other ways of doing things.

Lucy,
    I just have to say that I see nothing wrong with discussing a topic that is related to Bonsai. It seems that many people are interested, so what is the big deal? I'm sure all the bonsai enthusiasts wouldn't consider abandoning bonsai...so why are you so threatened by a little bit of alternative information? It seems to me like you want to 'own' the bonsai forum...people should be able to discuss what they want to discuss. This forum is the only one that is closely related to this topic of Kokedama (you really think the houseplant forum is more appropriate?). I don't think Yama's information is "taking over the bonsai forum"....it's ONE post.

Gabi

• lucy
    17 years ago

Whoa! There is nothing wrong with discussing something else related here... that's not the point. If you read my note again, I'm just concerned about people looking for info on traditional bonsai (which is essentially what the forum's about) and going away thinking it means to plant flowers in moss. I have NO none zero personal stake in the forum any more than you do, but Yama's note here is not the only he's written (other forums have some too), and it just seemed that he's the one with a personal 'idea' that he wants to promote, and that it might be a good idea to even start his own forum at this point, as the ideas seem to be of interest to many people. Relax!

• SCBonsai
    17 years ago

Mike, nice to see you posting here. I rarely visit this forum the last couple of years since most of the 'old timers'fled when the pop up ads became overwhelming to some. I never got the pop ups, but the site became really stagnant. IMHO, any useful info you can post, however peripherally related, is a good thing.
    John

• callygirl085
    17 years ago

Sorry Lucy I have to agree with Gabi. You seem to be a LITTLE put off that this post is here. I wouldn't go as far as to say you want to own this forum, but I don't think that your giving newbieÂs enough credit. Anyone can see that this isn't traditional bonsai, even the ones who are new at it. And I don't think that Yama is trying to say that either. Instead of being put off by it, why don't you just decide to agree to disagree. Kokedama isn't your thing, thatÂs ok. But can you please let the people who are interested get involved in the post. It's hard for anyone to get any answers with both of you going back and forth about how kokedama isn't bonsai. Just let it go and let Yama have his post. And about your comment about Yama commenting on different posts, why shouldn't he? He has years of experience in Japanese gardening, he has more than enough qualifications to comment when people have questions. I hope you don't feel picked on, but it's getting a little out of hand.

• yama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all

Jhon
    It is nice to hear from you. I enjoy the book you have sent to me. It is well written.
    This June, I am expecting to recieve ume/prunus mume seeds from David of Oregon. When I see members of Japan nusery association from Saitama and other area at Southern nusery Associatin Trade show, I am going to ask some ume seeds or cuttings. A friend mine has about 10 feet tall Shidare ume/
    weeping ume. I am goong to ask for cuttings or airlayering.
    I met Cobb county extention service agent yesturday and show my instant ^^ mini bonsai and had good complements.

Many Japanese garden forun regulars fled and created new website. www.myjapanesegarden.org

Lucy
    I respect your experty and kind hert to help others. when I write about plants or bonsai, it is simply diffrent opinion and you should not feel that you are attackek some one you don't know. When I write, I write only I know well about it.

About Wisteria.
    If you started from seeding, it may take 8 years to bloom.however Seedilng of grafted wisteria will bloom much shorter than 8 years. we have been cultivated wisteria hundreds years. beside grafting, there are ways to make blooming time shorter than 8 years. Potted wistria is more popular than bonsai wistria, because of growing habit. 4 years ago I had 200 plus wistrias seeding to tree from and vine form for arbor and have been studying history of wisteria.
    My family emblem is wistirea, Kasuga Shrine of Nara,Japan( large shinto shrine and verly old) also use wistirea.
    I was wondering how my family relate to shinto shrine.

I am happy to share with you those(about wistirea) informations if you are intrested....yama

• scenter
    17 years ago

Mike:

I did get to attend your class/demonstration, but was only able to stay until 12:30, so I didn't get to talk to you afterwards (I was in the red/black plaid jacket). Thanks for the ideas. My niece (who also attended) and I are going to try the sock one this weekend with some gathered plants and moss.

Bruce

• kylezo
    17 years ago

WIsh I lived in the area - sounds interesting, and the price is certainly right!

• jad05041957_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Lucy,
    Perhaps you should start your own forum and then you can control the topics (just my opinion). There is nothing wrong with discussing related topics as bonsai is still an evolving art (even if you do not wish it to be). No one actually owns bonsai as a art. It is what it is (and what you make it). Chill out, relax, trim your bonsai. You know what they say about opinions. And yes, I am being critical of you just as you are being critical of Yama (and I am aware of the date today and that this is an old post).

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Let it die, for G-d's sake!

Sponsored