Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hikari_gw

Japanese maple cuttings

hikari
15 years ago

Tis that time of the year! And I am trying to find a nice japanese maple to take a few cuttings from. My bf/husband is interested in having a bonsai of his own and I want to make him a maple as a gift. I know where one grows in my old neighborhood. I might trek down there as a last resort and ask the home owner for some cuttings. Wish me luck!

Comments (13)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi again. I wonder if you're aware that the majority of Japanese maples can be next to impossible to root as cuttings? There are some that can be done, like the Bloodgood (red) ones, but it's otherwise pretty difficult. Maybe you can find an affordable one at a nursery instead. How knowledgable are either of you at growing them?

• hikari
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lucy, I have a book that maps out how to do it and all. It also says that Japanese maple are easy to do hmmmm... We have never grown a Maple before and I am willing to take the plunge. However, finding an afforable one at the nursey would be a bonus. :)

• smith8
    15 years ago

I got a few decent 4' tall japanese maples for 12 bucks at a local nursery...

• hikari
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Lucy :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Air layering might work.

Josh

• hikari
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Josh, Yes air layering sounds good. I would have to find a tree close by my house so I can keep an eye on it :)

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

I am only able to grow 4 varieties from cuttings, all the others we graft. 'Bloodgood' is by far the easiest. Next would be 'Arakawa'. I do recommend getting one from your local Nursery. I use a very special brand of rooting hormone for mine, and I still only have about a 50% success rate.
    Steven

• hikari
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Steven :)

• bonesci
    15 years ago

I've taken cuttings from my japanese maple bonsai in the spring when I am pruning them (before they leaf out). They are Haname Nishiki, Sangu Kaku, and Katsura and some other landscape trees where I dug up seedlings. I'm pretty sure my 'manual on propagation' (can't remember the name of it) says that it's easier with younger trees.

The problem as I understand it is that most cultivars have horrible root systems and that is why they are typically grafted to a better rootstock.

• lucy
    15 years ago

if you're talking about Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Michael Dirr, it is a great 'bible' alright, and he's the one who's quite pessimistic about cuttings of J. maples.

• hikari
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, the book I have is called Bonsai illustrated Guide to an Ancient Art by Sunset books. This is a very old book! lol! My others are in storage somewhere.

• bonesci
    15 years ago

>if you're talking about Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Michael Dirr,....

That's the one. He may have also recommended the early spring time for cuttings as being marginally better, but the book is in storage so I can't check to be sure. I've never had as much luck with mid-season cuttings from new hardened shoots as I've had with spring prunings. THe hardest part is keeping them alive over the winter.

Chris

Sponsored