hikari_gw

Here is my Juniper :)

hikari
15 years ago

{{gwi:5697}}

Comments (14)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi Hikara, me again... if that tree's really as brown as it looks in the picture, it's definitely dead. If the foliage is mostly green, with just a slight tinge of bronze but foliage is also soft and flexible, it's ok because junipers develop a bit of color in the cold. If the foliage is hard and brittle, it's definitely long gone. Tip - the biggest killer of those little junipers is watering much too often - they're not houseplants and need not only a better mix than they came in but a better understanding of how to water trees, how to judge from the soil when they damp or dry beyond just how the top feels. I hope that's a really bad picture and the tree's ok, but otherwise, chalk it up to learning and maybe don't spend next time til you're more familiar with what to do when you get it home (I know... they're so cute!).

• hikari
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lucy, nope its alive! ;) The pic is not very good... the foliage is like you say a bit bronze and soft & flexable. Also there is alot of new rich green growth coming up in between! :) Also the moss is a bright green too...used a blackberry to take the pic :P

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Funny...you took the pic with a blackberry, and the color came out purple! Ha!

Nice Juniper, Hikari.
    Your five years of work have really paid off.
    But we definitely need a clearer pic.

Josh

• lucy
    15 years ago

Yeah!

• hikari
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Josh :) Lol! I fixed the color as you can see its no longer purple! :) My poor blackberry got squished last week..:p

{{gwi:5698}}

• dsdevries
    15 years ago

hi Hikari,

Nice juniper! But I was wondering, why don't you lose the whole right end of the tree and make a lot more compact tree?

IMHO the tree would definitely benefit from that, don't you think?

dsdevries

15 years ago

I think that this is for a cascade look, dsdevries.

Josh

• dsdevries
    15 years ago

This tree has absolutely none of the essential characteristics of a (semi-)cascade, therefore a styling in this way should not be considered at al.

IMHO this tree could make a nice informal broom style bonsai if styled in that way.

15 years ago

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

• dsdevries
    15 years ago

The reason why I used Caps to announce my opinion is to make it clear this is my opinion and ONLY my opinion. What one would do with it, his/her own choice to make.

I'm just hoping Hikari won't be going for a (semi-)cascade, as this tree would probably never going to reassemble a mature tree if styled in this way. And that's conclusion based a number of years of experience. I'm not calling myself to be an expert, but I'm sure the few people who do have reason to call themselves experts would agree with me on this matter.

15 years ago

While Hikari might not win any cascade competitions with this juniper,
    I think it's important for her to continue her plan. This is an issue of
    tree style, rather than tree health, so it's not something I'm going to
    get riled up over. Cheers,

Josh

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Hmmmmmmm

I sort of go for loosing the left side of the tree, going for a long shallow oval pot and doing it as a windswept style. However, I've always leaned toward the more dramatic side of things rather than the common ;))
    IMHO

Bob

• greenlarry
    14 years ago

The first pic is no longer there, has been deleted?

Funny, photobucket must be having a off day!
    When I click on a pic to enlarge it I get this

The action that you were trying to perform has failed.

Click here to go back to what you were doing.

14 years ago

Greenlarry, it was the same image...but more purple.

Josh

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner