Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

any advice for CA oak bonsai. thanks

deep___roots
16 years ago

CA live oak - quercus agrifolia. I've got nice healthy multi-trunked trees growing in about 5 inches of soil in one-gallons. I grew these from acorns. Approx. 6 trees are potted up. I'm sure the taproot is down into the ground through the bottom of the one-gallons by now. The average tree is about 18 - 24 inches tall and shooting out new growth at this time.

So I want to curtail the growth. What is the best way to prune these?

Also, if I repot, can i just cut the taproot that extends past the pot or should I be aware of certain consequences?

Comments (8)

• lucy
    16 years ago

The taproot could be cut right back in a couple of stages, especially if there are not a lot of new feeder roots elsewhere, but you could have gotten a head start on it earlier - don't forget if you don't get rid of it, when it eventually hardens off (if it hasn't already) you'll have limited the height of future bonsai pots by exactly that amount.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    16 years ago

My dad happened to do some work for a fellow who grows tens and tens of oaks each year. He said that he cuts the tap-root early, just as Lucy suggests, so he doesn't have to worry about it later - plus, it encourages those fine roots higher up.

When I repotted my oak (I think it's a blue oak), I removed a good portion of the tap-root, and then spread the rest of the roots around the pot. I used some of the "extra" root to wrap around a rock, which I'm hoping will look pretty cool in a few years.

Josh

• deep___roots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I may have cut the taproot once on these, but forgotten about it. I do know that these are "anchored" to the ground they are resting on right now.
    I had better get on the ball with these. I'll evaluate them more closely this weekend.
    The good news is, I know how to grow multi-trunked specimans by using several acorns, I know how and when to collect germinating acorns, and it is all free. So in case I screw up a couple of trees while learning it's no big deal. I am guilty of not giving these the attention they deserve. They are some nice looking specimens. Thanks again.

16 years ago

Post some pics!
    I'll try and get a few of my two oaks this weekend.
    One is in its second year, the other is just sprouting from an acorn.
    I'm a big fan of our native plants and trees.

Josh

• betula_pondula
    15 years ago

im curious how the acorns are planted to get them to sprout do you put them straight in the soil? i've never had the chance to grow an oak. im also wondering how fast they grow

15 years ago

I collect sprouting acorns in late winter/early spring. I lay them on
    their sides, with the sprouted downward, in 3/4 gallon containers.
    I half-bury the acorn in the potting medium, then cover the exposed
    half of the acorn with sticks and leaves. Certain species of oak grow
    faster than others, but they're generally slow. Also, not all acorns
    germinate the year after they drop. Some species take two years, I think.

Josh

• jerrydog
    13 years ago

collect your acorns in fall put them in the freezer till march, then put them 1" under potting soil, keep moist sprouting will take place and if they are in a shallow pot the tap roots will snake around, this make a nice group planting.

• jerrydog
    13 years ago

acorns, they will only sprout if previously frozen for a time, play with the freeze timing for bigger trees or smaller ones. its this simple if they don't sprout they rot if they don't rot insects finish the job. collect this fall and have some quercus fun

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz