Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growermn

paulownia tomentosa

growermn
15 years ago

Has any body tried to bonsai one? supposed to be fast grower, this fast of growing tree you can play with the roots, let the trunk get large,etc but can it take being root bound in a small pot?m jeff

Comments (9)

• brillig
    15 years ago

I will be trying this year. I have a tree that I cut down this year in order for it to form a new trunk. The severed trunk is sprouting out like crazy all over, even though it has been severed from the roots for about 2 1/2 weeks already. I think I'll try turning part of the severed trunk into a bonsai.

Additionally, any severed roots quickly send up shoots. When I find them around the yard, I'll be growing them as bonsais as well -- well a couple anyway.

Here's the thing, though. I'm not sure how much of a reduction in size is possible. With a lot of branching and defoliation, I'll bet leaf size can probably be reduced to a few inches, but that's still pretty big for bonsai.

My oldest bonsai project, by the way, is a bur oak. I've had some leaves as small as and inch or two on it, although I think I'm still a couple years away from the full branching and leaf reduction that I'm shooting for. Maybe more, actually. I'm only on my second year of root development, having before that let the roots grow where they will since I planted the acorn.

• growermn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was wondering about the leaf size also. Let us know how you experement goes. My oldest is a black pine about 7 years old, started from seed. It's about 2 feet tall now, trimed half the roots 2 years ago, will do the rest this year. jeff

• brillig
    15 years ago

It's now been 4 weeks since I cut down the paulownia tree. The severed tree is still growing despite being severed. I cut the top foot off to turn into a bonsai, assuming it will root.

The stump has since grown 23 inches already. It's growing now at the rate of about an inch a day.

Leaf size on paulownia gets much smaller with branching. That is the main thing I will be using to control leaf size. I'm not sure defoliation will be very effective, but I will probably try that, too.

My oldest bonsai is a bur oak about 13 years old. I grew it from an acorn.

• brillig
    15 years ago

Just an update -- my tree that I cut to the ground is now 50 inches tall. It has grown 27 inches since my last post 14 days ago. That's nearly 2 inches a day. The largest leaf is about 17 inches across, not counting the stem. The piece that I cut off, still has sprouts growing from it despite not being connected to roots for 6 weeks.

• felixcat
    15 years ago

Hello growermn, Yes you can bonsai a paulownia albeit still around 6ft tall. Mine is now around 5years old and is currently flowering again. The trick is to keep it contained in a pot no bigger than around 2ftx2ft. I used to keep moving it into the greenhouse over winter as although the tree is hardy the buds are not but it all got too much so the last two winters I left it pulled against the house and bingo! the flowers are o.k. even when one night went down to -8 here in the U.K.
    Hazel.

{{gwi:5852}}

• brillig
    15 years ago

Hmmm. If I can get my piece to root, I'm going to try for a much smaller version. I think I can keep it under 2 feet tall.

• brillig
    14 years ago

It's been 9 weeks now, and the severed tree is still growing, simply leaning against the east side of the house. I keep checking for roots, but it keeps not having roots. Meanwhile, the sprout that grew from the stump is now over 7' tall. The largest leaf is 32 inches across, not counting the stem. I'm not going to measure it anymore, though, because in order to measure it, I have to get close enough that some part of me has to touch the leaves, and they're covered with some sort of sticky substance. The leaves are typically covered in tiny insects like fungus gnats.

• dirtdog09
    14 years ago

this may not be a true bonsai,
    since i thot bonsai meant 'drop the bombs now!'

but one of my ebay paulownia kawakamii bought over 2 months ago has 2 flowers at 8"
    the other one is stunted, appearing to not grow AT ALL

my secret:
    miracle grow indoor plant food spikes put in 4" pot

the flowering wonder smells most like
    [drum roll, please]

pepperoni
    !

hav u tried growing it upside down yet?

• brillig
    14 years ago

It's been about 20 weeks since I cut down the paulownia, and it's 207 inches tall now.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!