Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone other than me have a Heather for a Bonsai ?

Posted by babytrees1948 8b LA. (babytrees@charter.net) on
Tue, Mar 1, 05 at 16:38

Why won,t it produce the little purple flowers? Its 3 years old .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone other than me have a Heather for a Bonsai ?

These can make nice small bonsai or accents and they should flower every yerar, depending on the species or genus.
There are many diffeent types from Ericas tio Callunas to other more tender sorts. Did it have flowers when you bought it, and where do you have it as it is an outdoor plant, effectively a small shrub. also many heathers dislike lime in their water and really should be potted in special ericaceious soil which has a low pH balance, meaning it is more acid than most soils.A sign that the plant is getting too much lime(too alkaline) is yellowing foliage which is soon remedied.

o

Heather is a relatively common bonsai subject. It's started by more advanced bonsai folks from large (3-6 inch diameter) trunked landscape specimens dug from gardens then pruned down to shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: english ivy bonsai

o

Mark, are you daft?? Heather is NOT ivy...never has, never will be ;-)

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 5, 05 at 8:50

It's likely you have Cuphea hyssopifolia (Mexican heather)? Mine flower year 'round. I use a spare soil - maybe 15% organic, the rest equal amounts of grow grit & turface, and they need bright light and love it warm. All the sun (or good amounts of artificial light) you can give & a grow (propagation) mat for root warmth if you're serious about the plant. I use organic fertilizer pellets on them - 3 or 4 in a 6" container over winter - more in the growing season. White flies love 'em. The leaf/branch arrangement is opposite, so take that into account in your styling plan. Internodes are short - branches tend to be very straight and set quickly, so wire those you think you might use early on. It's not a true heather & is quite comfortable in the soil I described. It doesn't seem to prefer additional lime added to soils like true heathers.

Al

o

No, Not daft, just distracted. Sorry.

o

• Posted by gregb z7? AZ (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 10, 05 at 22:53

Just keeping you honest, Mark ;-)

o

Greg, Huh? ;-)

o

>It's likely you have Cuphea hyssopifolia (Mexican heather)? <
I used to have one of these, I think the cat killed it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuphea hyssopifolia (Mexican heather)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here