Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dawn RedWood Drooping leaves...

Posted by MattBcBonsai none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 17:08

I Left for the night and when I returned home I found my dawn redwood looking like this. (see Pictures) We had some rain wednesday-friday and then it become fairly warm. High 70's with low 60's at nights. Its potted in a 6 inch round pot with good drainage in bonsai soil from BuyBonsai.com. Any information on the cause or how to help my little man along would be great. Thanks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dawn RedWood Drooping leaves...

The bark on most of the tree has now turned black. I believe my little man has died.

o
RE: Dawn RedWood Drooping leaves...

I'm sorry. Bark turning black is not a good sign.

It may have had a root rot. Even with good drainage sometimes they need to be sheltered from continual rain. I have to put mine under eaves in the winter otherwise they'd be rained on nonstop for months. The best drainage in the world can't make up for continually wet soil.

Did you have the pot raised up off the surface so the drain holes were not sitting directly on the surface? sometimes they plug up and can't drain even with screening. If the pot has feet that's usually enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here