Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmcat_gw

Turtle-back Style?

jmcat
16 years ago

I am interested in info on the Turtle-back style; mainly how to make it. I have been searching the web for a while this afternoon, but have not found anything of help yet.

Thanks,

-Jmcat

Comments (16)

• lucy
    16 years ago

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean either - is there another name for the style, or could you describe it?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    16 years ago

Maybe like a "shell," or a flat, ovular "dome?"

Josh

• jmcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry about not getting back before now. What I am referring to basically looks like nebari that are fused together to form a shape that looks kind of like a turtle shell. I have heard it referred to both as the kabudachi and as the korabuki style, but have found other websites that disagree. Here (about halfway down) and here are the two sites that referred to it as the korabuki style. Now I'm remembering that I've heard it referred to as the stump style, too. Here is a pic I found of one example of a turtle-back bonsai. I first saw a pic of this style in one of the bonsai books I was reading last year, but I don't recall which one.
    -Jmcat

• lucy
    16 years ago

Hi, that's supposedly gone out of style now, though I've seen a few shown on the web and in books. I think you'd probably grow it in moss, on a rock, but a smooth one, or even something like glass, that tiny new roots wouldn't actually bond to, then remove the rock. Another idea might be to wait til you did have decent roots that were still flexible but just hardened over enough to expose, and train them to grow downward leaving 3/4 exposed. I don't think there's any great secret to it, but maybe someone else will have an idea.

• jmcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As far as going out of style, I don't know that I care much. I'm interested in growing one of these mostly because I like how they look, and, they'll probably be back in style in the next 30-40 years anyway.
    I don't quite understand one of the things you said, though. "...you'd probably grow it in moss, on a rock..."; do you mean you would use Sphagnum as a substrate? Does this mean you would want moss growing on the surface to keep the roots cooler?
    Would training the turtle back be something you would want to do in the training pot (box) so that you could get the roots to grow bigger and faster? I think one of the main things I'm wondering is how you get the roots to bond and graft themselves to each other. Would you just leave them under the soil so that they continued to get thicker, eventually putting pressure on each other and growing together?
    Thanks,
    -Jmcat

• lucy
    16 years ago

I have to tell you I spoke before looking properly at what you linked to... I was thinking of exposed roots (the tree on 'stilts' of roots) rather than the total sort of merging of roots that you're talking about, and I was talking about that style. I really don't know much about the turtle and suggest you post at www.bonsaitalk.com where there are more people with possibly wider experience of rare ideas. Good luck!

16 years ago

Jmcat,
    I think choosing the right plant will be crucial -
    something with readily-fusing root/trunk material.
    Interesting experiment.

Josh

• jmcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Josh- What kind of plant(s) did you have in mind?
    -Jmcat

16 years ago

Remember, I'm very new to bonsai, and I haven't much knowledge of species...
    I'm more of a native plants type o' guy...

That said, it seems to me that plants in the fig family have roots that are
    flexible and fuse readily.

I've just begun working with willows, which exhibit incredibly vigorous growth
    (above and below the soil). Willow roots might take a while to harden sufficiently
    for full exposure, and they might not "fuse" together as well as other species; but
    I think you could create a stable, domed sort of "root cage" by using a smooth
    and rounded stone for shaping.

Josh

• jmcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts! It sound mainly like I'll have to find out how to do this by trial and (probably more) error. If I find out a good way to do this, I'll make sure to post back here. Of course, that will probably be in a minimum of 5-10 years... Anyway, thanks to both of you for your help.
    -Jmcat

16 years ago

I'd start several plants, maybe three different species (which you've selected as strong
    candidates), three of each type - nine total....if you have the room/facilities, of course!
    I also should have said ficus or banyan type trees instead of my vague "fig" mention in the
    previous posting. Garden fig isn't what I had in mind ;)

If I understand the turtle-back properly, you'll basically be creating a shell "root over rock"
    style. In this case, however, you aren't encouraging the roots to cling to the rock. I wonder
    if you'd wrap the rock with plastic-wrap instead of wrapping the plastic around the roots
    and the rock? I'd imagine so. Either way, if you select vigorous species, you might have good
    results in a slim three to five years.

Josh

• jmcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Haven't been on this forum since my last post. I think that yes, it would sort of be a root-over-rock style. Thinking about it, I'm wondering if maybe something more like a slab of rock would be better, or even a round tile. As for the time, I'm just starting in bonsai now, so it might be a little longer. Speaking of starting though, I'm happy to report that some of my cherry seeds are up!
    -Jmcat

16 years ago

Excellent!

• will_heath
    16 years ago

The fused nebari on bonsai is certainly not "out of style" and is still prevalent in many countires, usually on ficus trees, whose roots fuse easily. This takes time but is not difficult, with proper root management techniques.

http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/images/cheng/small/7.jpg

http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/images/hsuanlo/small/Ficus__80cm.jpg

Will

• jmcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I see it's been way too long since I was last on here. what "proper root management techniques" did you have in mind?
    -Jmcat

• HU-988078433
    2 years ago

It seems like many years have passed since this thread was created.
    Greetings from Ukraine, by the way.
    Do not share your thoughts and results? It would be very interesting for me.
    Thanks in advance.