Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpscholastic1

Ficus benjamina buds won't open

dpscholastic1
16 years ago

Hello,

I have a Ficus benjamina bonsai start that I purchased in October. It dropped a lot of leaves when I first brought it home, then it stabilized and has produced a lot of new buds (perhaps three times as many, compared to the number of open leaves) none of which, to my knowledge have opened.

It hasn't dropped a single leaf in some time.

I have some poor quality webcam pictures that I'm having difficulty attaching, but will continue to try. Maybe someone is familiar with this kind of thing and can suggest a solution from the following description.

Some other facts that may be relevant in helping you folks diagnose my problem:

- I water just about weekly, lifting the stone on top of the bonsai soil and watering if the underside is dry.

- The plant lives near a south window @ about 65-68 deg/F, humidity is ~40%, sometimes more [humidity tray].

- I fertilized with Miracle Grow Houseplant feed, half the recommended dosage not too long ago, and I have watered with a very diluted amount of Superthrive recently.

- It was sustained with flur. lights over the winter, and repotted into a commerical bonsai soil (New England bonsai tropical/sub-tropical mix of pine bark mulch, turface, coarse river sand..)

That's about it, I guess. I spoil this thing, or at least try to. Thanks very much for all your help.

DP

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner