Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsairookie

Fukien Tea -- Doesn't Get Worse Than This

bonsairookie
11 years ago

Hi Everyone. Brand new to the forum, hoping I can get a little help, although this is one of those shake your head stories.

Bought a Fukien Tea bonsai for my in-laws last Xmas (2011). Gave them the care sheet that said, in essence, indoor plant (i.e., temp = minimum 60 degrees), must have as much sunlight as possible, and water every 2-3 days. Let's just say that they lost the care sheet and forgot everything that it said. I sometimes found the tree in the middle of a room, far from a window. Someone told them they should only water it once a week. I found it outdoors this week (in Maryland), where the temps are getting into the 30s at night. Apparently the plant had aphids, so they started spraying it repeatedly with insecticide, and put it outside.

Needless to say, all of its leaves fell off at some point. The only thing that has me even remotely heartened is that there are about 6-7 new leaves on it (or so they say -- they don't look new to me).

I now have the tree under a full-spectrum light in a warm room on a tray of rocks with water in the rocks. Does it have any chance at all of surviving? I can provide pictures if that would help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES