Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Blackberry experiment

This winter, I found a tiny blackberry growing on the underside of an old piece of alder.

I put the plant into a container and added a bit of soil. I put a paper shopping bag over the

container during the coldest winter snaps, and now the blackberry is growing. I've been pinching

off the larger leaves, hoping to keep the plant small, but I'm really just experimenting. The little

green plant is a volunteer of some type...I'm not sure what it is, but it provides some interesting

color.

Josh

{{gwi:6268}}
{{gwi:6271}}

Comments (16)

• lucy
    16 years ago

If that little green plant is a weed (and it's likely) the root system will kill your nice berry plant (but you know about things like that!).

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I know I'm playing with fire ;)
    I wanted to leave the weed as long as possible...before tugging it out of there.
    It has a shallow root-system, sitting on top of the alder, but I don't want to lose
    the berry (that's the primary "weed" in this planting ;) ).
    Thanks!

Josh

Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm back with an update on my blackberry experiment! I've had some help in choosing a name for the berry, and I hope it is fitting and appropriate. It's certainly been fun. So, here are two views, both taken this morning, of Isagiyoi: loosely, 'The upright one.'

{{gwi:6274}}

{{gwi:6278}}

Josh

• zone_9
    15 years ago

Has anyone ever tried a blueberry bonsai. I live in southwest Florida and there is a wild variety that have the smallest leaves that are in such good proportion to the tiny fruit. I'm often out doors for work and I see these quite often. Just a thought.

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi, blueberries are done often up north here, but don't know how they'd do there (with no cold winter dormancy), but if you have one to work on, with small leaves, go for it (and keep us posted).

• zone_9
    15 years ago

It is a native type of blueberry, native to south west Florida that is ( i have seen them quite often in the wild and..well.. never outside of it.. I will try to get a picture or something. Maybe collect something this winter.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it was certainly fun having this little vine on the deck this summer. Had a slow spring start, during which most of the first leaves developed an orange rust and died. But the vine took off once those leaves were gone, and grew about three feet total...no longer an 'upright' plant, due to the floppy length. So I gave it a bamboo stake.

First shot is from August 19th. Second shot of the neatly-colored leaves and bright red stem is from yesterday, November 14th. Next year, I'm hoping to photograph flowers....if the old vine survives, that is.

Look for the next update sometime in late March!
    Cheers!

Josh
    {{gwi:6282}}

{{gwi:6285}}

Original Author
    14 years ago

Well,
    I'm just a bit later on the update than I thought I'd be. Here are a few winter - spring shots:
    New Year's
    {{gwi:6290}}

{{gwi:6293}}

{{gwi:6295}}

{{gwi:6296}}

• brianhancock
    14 years ago

Interesting tree. It will be great to have a nice looking bonsai that grows some delicious berries!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brian Hancock

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Brian.
    It sure would be nice to have some fruit eventually.
    I left the vine from last year, and it's leafing out.
    I'll try to remember to post some current pics.

Josh

• northwest_grower
    14 years ago

nice im doing this same thing but my bush a little older and ive trained it so its kind of a dense tangled mess.

they grow quick so dont blink!

• beth.iflorist
    14 years ago

You did a very good experiment.Your bonsai looks great.The color is also very nice.Good job.

Here is a link that might be useful: beth

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Northwest!
    I think I need to put my blackberry into a larger container.
    What size container are you using?

Thanks, Beth!
    I think I want to dig up a wild, invasive blackberry next. We
    have this type with bright, light blue vines, smaller more numerous
    thorns, and tighter, more dissected leaves. I think it's called the
    Himalayan blackberry. I'm not certain.

Josh

Original Author
    13 years ago

Isagiyo, my blackberry, is doing well this year...!

This image is from May 5th:

{{gwi:4470}}

Josh

• thirdyearbonsai
    13 years ago

Green-

Looks Great!! Thanks for all the updates too. It is really helpful for someone like me--let's say I'm an early-intermediate bonsai enthusiast-- to see a project like this unfold.

Also, did you plant the moss? It looks great.

3rdYr

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, 3rdYr!
    I appreciate the compliments!
    The moss came with the blackberry and the dead alder stick, and it's grown to cover the upper soil.
    I have had very little to do with it.

Josh

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor