Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smith8_gw

Ilex Opaca

smith8
15 years ago

Having just become interested in Bonsai a few months ago, I am new to the art and all it's intricacies. In my spare time, I have picked up and begun reading "Bonsai: Its Art, Science, History, and Philosophy" by Deborah Koreshoff, as I saw it recommended by others.

I have two questions that are both generic and specific. One, when I read that conifers should be allowed some foliage when propagating by cutting or trunk chop, does this rule extend to non-traditional conifers such as the holly? They aren't particularly sappy...

Second, does anyone have experience growing ilex opaca? They are native and in plentiful supply where I live, though I fear they may be difficult to bonsai due to their naturally large leaves. Also, does anyone know if Holly, or particularly the ilex opaca will grow new buds from old wood? I have a holly with a healthy root system that I have cut back considerably, but would like to trunk chop proper - in a way similar to that done to traditional deciduous trees.

Thanks for any information, and sorry for any assumptions or ignorance on my part, as I am very new to Bonsai and growing in general.

p.s. - I used rooting hormones on some ilex opaca cuttings and hope to have some positive results. - perhaps it is the wrong time of year to be attempting all these things....

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH