Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Species Should I Get?

Posted by Piranhamoose none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 19:29

Hi. I'm trying to figure out what species would best survive a specific set of conditions for a live display. It would need to do well in 75-80 degree temps year round as well as a humidity level of 60-100% throughout the day (probably something tropical). If you know of any species that might work, I'd like to know so I can research them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Species Should I Get?

You may have difficulty with tropicals. As tropical and subtropical plants are the best for indoor growing.

For indoor bonsai, the best plants are tropical and subtropical species.

Two species which are especially good bonsai for indoors are the dwarf Hawaiian umbrella tree, Schefflera arboricola and many small leaf Ficus varieites.

o

Is this an indoor/greenhouse display?
Either those allready mentined and I would think a lot of Ficus or Wrightia Religiosa commonly used for bonsai.
Good Luck
R

o

It will be an indoor display. The dwarf hawaiian is almost exactly what I was picturing. I'll spend some time reading up on them. Thank you both for the suggestions. If anybody has anymore I'd like to hear them.

o

I've found one website that says the Schefflera Arboricola is poisonous, but I haven't found a site that verifies that. Could anyone familiar with this species tell me if that's true or not?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here