Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul3636

Pond water baskets

paul3636
14 years ago

After reading Blogs About water basket use in bonsai I decided to try them.

For about 2 years I have been using them when re potting some of my pre-bonsai.

My question:

If the tree roots are air pruned how often do you re-pot???

Comments (8)

• larke
    14 years ago

As often as needed, same as with any plant in a pot. Are you saying you're growing your trees ONLY in pond baskets and that none have gone into pots? What am I missing?

• paul3636
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nothing.
    I use the same mixture of soil as in my pots and believe the idea is as the roots grow they are able to get more oxygen and are pruned by the air as they reach outside the basket holes.
    It has worked well for me on all but collected trees which will now be planted in wooden boxes. I don't think the baskets are the reason for losing the collected trees but I don't want to take a chance.
    I don't think I should have to change the soil as often because the roots are being air pruned and the soil is grit, turface, and sphagnum moss. Once the basket is filled with roots, yes I understand the soil have to be changed but how long does it take to fill the pot.
    I took the oldest(2 years)Japanese maple planted in a basket out of the basket And there is still plenty of room for root growth and no circling of the roots.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

I am experimenting with these in-ground.
    In my garden, I've been sizing-up succulents during the summer, but I want something
    to protect the roots and also allow for lateral root-growth. Pond baskets seem to be
    a good choice.

Josh

• paul3636
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Found the original article on water basket.
    The way I understand it collected trees should be in wooden boxes until the tree is growing well and is healthy. It should then be planted in a pond water basket or one of Vance Woods screen boxes for training until it has reached the design of the grower and at that time planted in a bonsai pot.
    One of the things I'm not sure of is how to handle nurseries trees. Should the nursery soil be changed, the roots pruned, and then go directly in to Water baskets for training???
    Does any one have something to add or correct???

14 years ago

Yes, the soil should be changed out completely (at the species-appropriate time of year).

When I do a re-pot, I remove all the old soil, and I prune the roots to correct circling or
    over-lapping, and to increase the fine, shallow, radially-arranged feeder-roots.

After a re-potting, I allow the plant to recuperate in a protected location for at least a week.
    The plant won't be transpirating/photosynthesizing at full capacity, so it won't be able to handle
    intense sunlight or heat. Plus, a slightly cooler container / soil is conducive to root-growth.

Josh

14 years ago

Some pics of the baskets I'm using:

{{gwi:6583}}

{{gwi:6584}}

• paul3636
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Except for the color they look like the baskets I have been using.
    Did you buy them on line or from a local store.
    Paul3636

14 years ago

Hey, Paul.
    I bought these at a local nursery.

Josh