Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
head_cutter

Most beginner 'problems'...

head_cutter
15 years ago

I've been in and out of this forum for a number of years...after answering a few questions just some random thoughts about the average beginner...

1. Seems to be a lack of common sense and in many cases even rational thought

2. Most either get their first 'bonsai' as a gift or became interested without really finding out about what it takes to maintain (keep alive) the first one

3. Most buy the first one from a place that does a much better job of selling 'dead' (ie: lumber) trees than live ones...has anyone ever thought about that?

4. Most insist on buying something that was never intended to grow in the area where they live--tropicals in Alaska--northern hardy trees in Florida

5. The above squares the intensity of care and will almost always guarantee a dead plant

6. If they bought a dog or cat would they look around for some care information first...talk to other pet owners about care and feeding (before) buying the first one?

7. Do they realize that there is a whole internet out there with gigs and gigs of information? Are they too lazy to search and actually look around?

Yes, I've killed some trees, probably more than most of you will ever own, it happens.

Yes, I live in Vietnam now. I spent most of my life in Pennsylvania. I grew tropicals with some success but--they spent 8 to 9 months a year in a greenhouse. I spent a bundle on climate control: heat, light, humidity and still lost trees.

Sure, I'd love to have a nice Japanese Black Pine but they don't grow well here.

Just my observations, not being angry or nasty, just a few thoughts.

Comments (9)

• staticx
    15 years ago

i agree,i am the nieve(sp?) beginner you speak of.but i actually did do a little research and i know the basics of care and even styling and how to turn a normal tree into a bonsai.i have a lot more info to go if this holds my intrest,when i was little i had a port jackson fig that i got from costco,formal upright or broom style can remember.kept that tree alive until i went overseas and my uncle dident water it.

• lucy
    15 years ago

Well, I know when I got my first tree, from a Japanese Cultural Centre (having a festival in Toronto) I did not know enough to know what questions to ask and the man selling the trees (a 'real' bonsai grower, not a shill) didn't have much time (or English) to tell me anything, though did help out in the fall when I called him frantic that my Zelkova was losing leaves and he reminded me it was autumn. Getting a pet is one thing - you know feeding and bathroom issues etc. are important because the pet is "alive", but people used to dumping a glass of water weekly on their philodendrons don't KNOW there are a l,000 issues growing trees and may only begin to learn when they lose a couple and look for answers, so be nice Head-cutter and give them the benefit of the doubt.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

I only pass through here from time to time, but I saw this post & felt compelled to comment.

Beginners are just that - beginners. They are called beginners because they are at the start of their journeys, and likely to make the same mistakes many now famous bonsai practitioners initially made. They are much more likely to become proficient enough at the art to find it fulfilling if they are given help, encouragement, and a hand up, instead of castigation to accompany a list of the deadly sins they are presupposed to have committed.

I hope those that catch the word 'beginner' in the topic line read far enough to see my assertion that most of the bonsai community are gentle enough to find subtle and helpful ways to explain why certain of the beginner's decisions might not have been the best choice, & to offer positive guidance rather than a list of negative observations and criticism.

I know our club would quickly let anyone who exhibited such strong anti-beginner sentiments know just how important the beginners actually are - to our club and to the bonsai community in general.

Take care.

Al

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I agree with you all, just some observations on my part. The art-form/hobby/whatever is hard enough to master let alone be mildly successful with, why take it to the point of being impossible? And, as I said, I have killed my share of trees--I'm not perfect by a long shot.

Yes, I will still try to help beginners when I can.

Bob

• hsernulka
    15 years ago

Thank you Al. My sentiments about that post exactly!

• beachplant
    15 years ago

I thought this might be some helpful information. Instead it's just another nasty post from a nasty person.
    BAH!
    And from someone who admits to killing lots of trees and trying to grow tropicals out of their zone. Do as I say not as I do?
    Tally HO!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Not at all, beachplant.

Head Cutter is a valuable addition to this Forum...which you would know,
    if you'd read any of the Threads he's posted. There is nothing 'nasty'
    in this particular Thread. He makes simple observations.

I used to include a layer of gravel at the bottom of my containers, believing
    it to improve drainage. Would you criticize me for cautioning others against
    this action, now that I know better?

Josh

• head_cutter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

'beachplant' probably won't come back to read the thread but...I did kill quite a few trees in the past (and will probably even kill a few more) I just accept it, for whatever reason it happens, and don't take the bridge over it. Yes, I did grow tropicals in Penna, in a fully functioning greenhouse, not in the house. In the winter it had heat, light and humidity so they grew well.

Thanks Josh, I didn't think is was really 'nasty', just observations on my part.
    Bob

• greenlarry
    15 years ago

Yea and the funny thing is most beginners buy their bonsai, thats the thing isnt it! They buy a 'cute' Chinese Elm or Fukien Tree and then find out how to keep it. Just like a friend of mine who bought a Chinese Elm and kept it on a windowsill. I kept telling her its an outdoor tree in summer and to put it outside! "OH no", she said, "it'll get soaked in the rain!!"
    Oh dear!

Back in 1986 when I started I never bought a bonsai. I read countless books about it(no internet then!) and would eye up trees and bushes hungrily wondering how one would translate into a bonsai tree.
    It was only much years later that I bought, or rather got bought as a gift, a bonsai. I still prefer to create my own. Takes longer but the progress is such fun! And while its growing you got time to do the research!