Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yvette_adams_gw

gift of 'bonsai'

yvette_adams
14 years ago

Hi Bonsai Yodas

I was wondering if I could pick your brains with regard to a little plant I recently received

My DIL gave me a little commercially grown "bonsai" for my birthday. While I am certain it is not a true bonsai, I would like to try to grow it as one eventually. I have a few questions.

First, I am trying to figure out what type of tree it is. It looks to me like a juniper or possibly a cedar. Because it came from a florist, it is highly unlikely that it is anything out of the ordinary. Without seeing it, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of what is the most common type of tree used by florists for this.

Second, it is in a tray with no holes. This seems like a recipe for disaster to me. On the other hand, it has just changed environments so it is probably not the best time to transplant it. What do you think?

Third, shouldn't a plant like this be outdoors? Again, it has lived indoors, and it is still winter here in zone 5. If it survives, do you think I should put it outdoors in summer, and try to overwinter it outdoors next year?

Fourth, if it does survive, I would imagine it is very young... how old should it be before it needs roots trimmed and wiring can begin?

In my experience living things from the florist rarely do well, but I will give it my best shot.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has a thought or two to share with me.... Yvette

Comments (6)

• larke
    14 years ago

Hi, you're right about the drain holes, but don't panic yet. Can you not get a side-on shot of the tree just close enough to show some foliage detail and post it here? I don't want to make a guess at what might seem obvious because a mistake would be worse. Unless it looks like it's at all drooping progressively, don't water until you get it I.D.'d if possible because a conifer is less likely to need water that urgently than to get in trouble due to too much. Don't worry about its being outside at this point - it may need it eventually, but you're right about it being all wrong to do it now in Quebec. A cool bright place is best for now, though if there's any chance of it being tropical, not a cold place. Don't even think about wiring, etc. at this point, that's the least of your worries at the moment. Don't rush to repot because without knowing for sure what it is, better to wait to find out and then use an appropriate mix, rather than the 'wrong' one.

• yvette_adams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Larke.
    The florist told me DIL that it should sit in water once weekly.
    I'm a moron. I put on my glasses this AM and found that it does have a drain hole after all! Last night with no glasses on, it just looked like an indentation in the center of the bottom of the tray. It is about the size of a dime.
    I have taken your advice and put it in the coolest window sill in the house. I will try to get closeup of the foliage and post it here ASAP.

Thanks so much.
    Yvette

• larke
    14 years ago

Do not ever sit bonsai in water and do not ever water to a schedule... only when needed, which is what you have to learn about each tree as you go, depending on what mix it's in, what light and temp. it's in, and what season it's in. And water from the top, like rain (those expensive little cans with flat pads on the end of the spout, with lots of tiny holes, are great.

• yvette_adams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK then! Thanks for the info. You have been a lot of help.

• yvette_adams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Me again.

I took your advise about sprinkling from above,and not watering on a schedule. I decided to dip my fingertip into the soil and inch or so to determine if the soil is dry.

However the soil in the pot is packed so tight that I cannot even dip my finger.

I can determine the soil's dryness: that isn't my issue. I am wondering if it is wise to have this little tree packed in so tight.

Given the previous lousy advise from the florist, I won't go and ask her, but was hoping you could advise me. I would imagine the supplier grows tons of seedling with little care, packs them in the fancy trays and sells them for a fortune.

BTW, my next-door-neighbour is sure this is a baby juniper.

Thanks very much for the kind attention!
    Yvette

• larke
    14 years ago

Hi again. First, a baby Juniper 'what'? There are many junipers out there, but I'll guess yours is a procumbens nana for now (and care would be the same for all). It worries me that you are "sprinkling" water (from above is good though). It will take longer to water than pouring it on, but you won't wash away soil, however it still needs to be well watered until it reaches the drain holes. You need to repot your tree (and Jun's can be done until May-June) in the right mix, and yours is not in that mix. You need to get some small grit (like small sized aquarium gravel for fishtanks) for 75% of the mix, then add lots of fir bark bits (1/16-1/8 of an inch size) for 'nutrition' and a little water holding (the grit will let water run straight through - and don't let the pot sit in that or roots will rot). You might try a bagged Orchid mix like Schultz's which is full of chunky wood, but it's soft and will break into smaller pieces easily (or with a little help), and/or you can add some large particle, porous soil from a nursery, just nothing at all that has peat in it - that part's important! To get the thing out of the pot you will need to soak it in the sink for however long it takes to loosen up (within reason) and use a butter knife around edges, etc. Then use your fingers to crumble off the soil, but be extra careful of breaking/taking roots with it. Do cut back 1/3 to 1/2 of the old roots and try to spread what's left more laterally, to eventually become pad-like rather than ball-like. And just drizzle the mix in making sure evety gap is filled. They water well.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH