Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staticx_gw

lemon bonsai

staticx
15 years ago

i am growing a lemon seedling in a shallow pot with good draining soil to get som good lateral root for nebari.when the trunk gets the fatness i want(not much because i want a mame or shohin)how do i put it in the final pot,and also how do i know whats the minimum size for the pot and how much to root prune.

im a noobie,thanks

Comments (5)

• staticx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok it sprouted,i got a qustion about how early i can start leaf reduction because lemon is an evergreen.and also any suggestions for the style.
    thnaks

• lucy
    15 years ago

Hi, what you need to do long before thinking about leaf reduction is to get the plant into a larger pot with a fast draining mix, in really high light up to 15 hours a day, above a wide humidity tray (water not touching the pot) and let it grow as fat a trunk as you want. This can take years, of course, because only if you were in a tropical climate could you grow it in the ground, which is the fastest way to fatten it, but barring that, a large pot (not 'bonsai') is what you need, plus routine fertilizing. Leaf reduction only comes a few times, if that, in a bonsai's life and yours has a lot more time to go before doing that. Wanting a mame does not mean you just grow a seedling into a tiny plant a few inches tall and call it a bonsai. You need to grow it a lot bigger and then chop it small so the fatter trunk will give the illusion of age together with new and smaller branches. I suggest you do some reading - www.bonsai4me.com, www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html, plus lots of books. If you just grow a few inches of a seedling, all you'll have is a stick in a pot, a very young looking thing with nothing bonsai about it, no matter how stylishly you shape it.

• staticx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i knew about the trunk fattening,but you got me thinking that if i wanted faster results i need a bigger pot.so leaf reduction only comes a few times,i had the idea that you do it every season until its the size you want.
    thanks,

steven

• head_cutter
    15 years ago

The other problem with iddy-biddy fruiting or flowering 'trees' is that when you are tempted to allow too much fruiting or flowering it takes all of the energy...dead plant. Been there, done that.

• staticx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i dont think mine will flower because its from seed and it will take a long time.but if it does i might enjoy the blooms but remove most the fruit.

Sponsored