Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Species Identification - Zelkova or Not?

Posted by Sparkers30 none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 7:14

Hi,

I bought this plant a week ago.

It says it is a zelkova. But something else on this forum thinks it might be a fig.

Is it not a zelkova? Any ideas as to what else it could be?

Thanks

Sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Species Identification - Zelkova or Not?

SAM,,, Where ever you bought your tree they told you wrong !! It is a serrisa microfolia,,, tropical tree with tiny white flowers...be care ful with your watering and temp changes..i do not know your weather but don,t let this one below 55 or 60 degrees... hope this helps john

o

Thank you for your help! I have had problems with this since buying it because it wilted a great deal one day and then after a good watering was back to normal.
Although a fair number of leaves.

Also, when I bought it there were nice little white flowers, but these all died once the tree was brought to work.
I am not sure if the office environment (being dry) is too much for it.

I will see what I can find on this tree.

Is this one of the trickier ones to keep?

(It said Zelkova on the note that came with the plant that I bought from the garden centre)

o

NOT Zelcova i am sorry..If it is in your office,,put it in a window with plenty of light.. keep moist not wet !! the flowers donot last long but keep comming back.. keep it away from heat vents also..good luck john

o

NOT Zelcova i am sorry..If it is in your office,,put it in a window with plenty of light.. keep moist not wet !! the flowers donot last long but keep comming back.. keep it away from heat vents also..good luck john

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 19:36

..... not Serissa. Your plant has a lot of different names. Commonly: Fukien tea, Fujien tea, Philippine tea, Bath tree .....

Binomially, it was once called Carmona mycrophylla, but it's been renamed Ehretia mycrophylla.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here