Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jujube or mesquite as bonsai?

Posted by merrybookwyrm 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 9:07

Has anyone ever heard of making a bonsai out of mesquite or jujube trees? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jujube or mesquite as bonsai?

Yes. I have seen Jujube in a book or Bonsai magazine but not Mesquite. However almost everything has been tried by someone as Bonsai. Even huge trees like Redwood and fast growing like Weeping Willow(I once tried a Cottonwood). There are some EXCELLENT Ponderosa Pine Bonsai(long needles)and a beautiful Daimyo Oak which normally has very big leaves. You can see this one on the internet. The most critical item is to neither drown nor starve the roots for water. Proper potting medium is very important for good drainage while also retaing moisture. Personally I have 2 Ponderosa Pines and just got a little Daimyo Oak(Quercus dentata)and also have 3 different Cycads among other more normal trees. I hope this will help you and good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here