Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorcrap

wood chips in bonsai soil affect pH

castorcrap
18 years ago

hello,

I have just completed sifting perlite, lavarock, drystall, and fired clay. The mix looks good, but lacks organic matter. Ive looked through all my books, it seems they use peat for organic matter. But how do you sift it, because if you keep sifting it, it all becomes dust and goes through? So then I took some soil conditioner (smells like its made of ground up pine mulch) and sifted out the larger peices and used them. Will the pine bark will be too acidic? Should I use peat instead, even though its particles are very small and will fill in between my pourous mix? What about introducing mycorrizae some how? Due to being a med student and possibly not having time to water every day, would using a 50% standard potting soil/ 50% inorganic mix, work, or would this be too much dirt and would defeat the whole purpose of even attempting to make bonsai soil?

Thank you for any help you can offer,

Castorcrap

Comments (8)

• lucy
    18 years ago

Don't use peat period. Definitely use pine bark for just about anything, up to 2/3 of the mix for conifers, though you can use good compost for maples, gardenias, things that prefer more alkali. A 50/50 mix is good for e.g. elms, but will be too 'organic' for conifers usually. In summer, you're going to have some pretty hot stretches there, and if you have anything growing in little pots, even pine, I hope you'll be around to keep an eye on them because it can take less than a day for the heat to do them in. One good idea is to lean a white or reflective thing against the pot to keep it and the roots cooler. I sometimes put my pots into a regular window box to shade them.

• castorcrap
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks lucy,
    At this point, none of my trees are in small pots because they need to grow more, and it helps me avoid having to water them real often. Should I sift & discard the small particles out of the potting soil that I use to make the 50/50mix of potting soil and inorganic matter, or just use the soil strait out of the bag?
    thanks

• lucy
    18 years ago

Hi, I think I wasn't very clear on one thing - when I mentioned a 50/50 mix, or compost, I meant 50/50 organic and nonorganic (grit + compost - instead of grit and peat), for things like elms, etc.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Opinion only, but glad to discuss this: I never use compost in any container soils. It retains too much water, destroys aeration, slows drainage, and adds nearly nothing in the way of nutrients. There are too many good, and stable components out there to select one that makes more work out of successful growing than necessary. What sense to go through the effort of building porosity into a soil by carefully selecting some components, only to destroy it with the addition of the next?

Al

• sapolice
    16 years ago

Our summers are very hot and dry. I have experimented with several mixes and found I have to use organics to keep my pots from drying out in the summer. Winters inorganics are fine of course but I just have to pay a close eye on my watering practices then. JMO.

• lucy
    16 years ago

Whatever works - we're certainly not all in the same boat and if you can be flexible about what to use, it's a lot better than being knee-jerk about 'mix #3' being the only 'right' one.

• scenter
    16 years ago

Al:

Thanks. That was the kind of explaination I was looking for in my "Bonsai Soil Confusion" thread I posted about a month ago. Very clear and lucid demo without the mumbo jumbo I find in the books - some of which recommended adding garden soil and peat.

After I posted the mentioned thread, I talked to some of the members of the Atlanta Bonsai Society at a workshop, and have been using their advice: growers grit or perlite and crushed sieved pinebark for my soil with a top dressing of NZ sphagnum - so it doesn't wash away when watering.

Sponsored